Increased Bottle Requirements

Seems like there are a lot more competitions raising the number of bottles required for entries to three per entry. Has anyone else noticed this? This creates a huge inconvenience when shipping entries. Not only does it take up more room, but I have a hard time turning loose of three bottles of a well aged big beer or mead. I find it very hard to believe that it takes 36oz of beer/cider/mead to properly judge. I’m trying to get my brews judged, not provide free booze.

One for preliminary judging, one for BOS if you go there, and one for taste offs or in case of something wrong with another bottle. Makes perfect sense to me.

It seems there is a lot of spill over from competitions requiring three bottles though. I have been contacted twice in the last year by friends or family of judges who gave out left over bottles of entries from competitions. Guess they tracked down my contact info from entry numbers. I placed in both competitions and moved to the BOS round in one. While I’m glad they enjoyed my entries, the added cost of an additional bottle per entry was not meant to be consumed outside of competition. I would rather be able to use the extra packing space to send another entry.

I have probably sent beer to 15 comps or so in the last year and only one required 3 bottles. Not aware of any on the horizon that require 3 either…NHC maybe. Guess I have not noticed it that often.

But if they needed that third bottle, you would have been SOL. To me, it’s the sensible thing to do. When I started entering comps 15 years ago, I can’t think of one that didn’t require 3 bottles. Every comp I’ve ever run has required 3 bottles. I’ve been in situations where a 3rd bottle was really needed, but wasn’t available. In that case, we had to make decisions based on what appeared to be infected bottles. I don’t think any of us like that solution. I understand what you’re saying, but from the standpoint of running a smooth, fair comp, 3 bottles is the best solution.

Alright. You’ve been the voice of reason Denny and make good points. Atleast from my experience even if some are not getting used in competition they are obviously being consumed and not wasted.

At NHC, any extra bottles from the judging get broken out in the hospitality suite after the awards ceremony. Nothing goes to waste!

Three bottles is pretty standard for most competitions with over 200 entries. If there are going to be more than 12 entries per category, you need to split that category into 2 or more first round judging flights. The best beers are then consolidated into round 2 and that determines 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. The first place beer then goes on to best of show. Left over beers get consumed at the awards ceremony, or used in BJCP classes for sample judging. Just get a bigger box for your entries and good luck in the best of show round.