Inconsistent Carbonation

I carbonate in the bottle. I’ve noticed with my last couple of beers that some bottles will be carbonated perfectly, while some will be more or less flat. I use two different styles of caps, and am getting the same issue with both. What gives?

When you say you carbonate in the bottle, what do you use? Drops? Or are you using DME in your bottling bucket?

Sounds like you’re not mixing your priming solution well enough with your fermented beer before bottling.

What I do is pour my priming solution in the empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer on top and give a good stir several times while the beer is racking over and again at the end.

If you still have problems you can try carbonation drops (forget the name). You just drop one in each bottle before capping. Very easy.

Agree with Dobe12. I typically give the beer a stir after every 4 to 6 filled beers (depending on size)…

[quote=“dobe12”]Sounds like you’re not mixing your priming solution well enough with your fermented beer before bottling.

What I do is pour my priming solution in the empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer on top and give a good stir several times while the beer is racking over and again at the end.

[/quote]

+2 I had this irregularity on my first batch of beer as well. My second batch I stirred in the priming sugar mix with a couple slow stirs and I haven’t had a problem this time.

I use priming sugar.

[quote=“TFrankMac”][quote=“dobe12”]Sounds like you’re not mixing your priming solution well enough with your fermented beer before bottling.

[/quote]

+2 I had this irregularity on my first batch of beer as well. My second batch I stirred in the priming sugar mix with a couple slow stirs and I haven’t had a problem this time.[/quote]

Excellent. I’ll try that next time. Thanks guys.

I had this same problem also for my first few batches… Make sure when you stir the beer and priming solution you don’t just go round and round… Stir it from the bottom up to fully mix the priming solution into the beer… But don’t splash - stirring every six bottles work well for me.