In the middle of all grain nut brown ale PLEASE HELP!

I am one hour from finishing the brew and can’t find info on m one question.

After wart is cooled do I supplement with additional h20 to counter what is cooked off and taken from the grain bag? The recipe start with 5G and it looks like I am down to about 4G with one hour still left.

Assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Do you have a gravity measurement?

Not much info to work with but here’s a few points. Grain will absorb about 0.5 qt/lb. Boil off, depending upon your burner, could be about 1-1.5 gal/hr.

I’d finish as is. As the other post suggested, get a gravity reading when done. Based on the gravity reading, you can top off with water as needed when racking or in the primary.

I am sorry for the lack of info. This is my second brew. My first brew called for 2.5 G h20 then another 2.5 G h20 added cold after cooking. Again, lack of info might be limiting the help you can give me. Just having a lot of fun on my second time around!

For all grain you usually start with more water than you need in the final product, to account for the boil off. Suppose you boil off 1 gallon during the hour brew; you’ll start with 6 gallons in the kettle to end up with a 5 gallon batch. For extract beers you can boil at higher consentrations and top-off in the fermenter. This allows for easier cooling (cold top-off water) and makes stove-top brewing possible. (A kitchen stove can boil 3-4 gallons pretty well, but you need an outdoor burner for really big boils…

You also need more water for all grain because the grain absorbs water too, but that’s a bit easier to handle. When you drain the mash into the kettle look at how much volume you have. If you know what your pre-boil volume should be, use the difference for your sparge. So… Say you mash, and drain 4 gallons into your kettle, if you want to start with 6 gallons in the kettle, rinse the grain with 2 gallons. Since the grain has already absorbed water, you’ll get the whole sparge volume back. Knowing how much the grain will absorb will help you target how much water to use for each step, but don’t sweat it initially.