Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Imperial Stout Fermenting in Basic Starter Kit Bucket

Ok so I’m fairly new to home brewing and I’m planning on making my second batch in the coming weeks. I did a pumpkin ale for my first round this fall and it turned out pretty nice (made with real pumpkin too).

Anyways, I want to do a big Imperial Stout but I have some reservations about using the basic 5gal bucket that comes in the kit that my fiance bought for me last year. (It’s just the basic kit from NB)

I have a 5 gallon better bottle for a secondary fermentation vessel but from what I’ve read maybe I’m going to need a 6 gal. b.b. for the primary as well and allow blow off every once in a while? Or will my big bucket with the airlock suffice?

Thanks everyone-

Hello.

You will want to put a blow off tube on your primary vessel. There is a pretty funny video going around of a Brewer that fermented a Russian imperial stout in a bucket using only an airlock. What a mess.

With a blow off tube, you’ll be much safer and less stressed.

What are your concerns with using the plastic pail for a fermenter? It’s just like any other beer. You can easily leave it in the pail for 2-3 weeks. Then transfer to a BB if you like to age it longer before going to bottles/kegs.

Yeah I’m worried about the pressure buildup and worrying that a bucket with an airlock won’t be sufficient to prevent the pressure buildup. Like colombo117 noted, I don’t want to cause a big mess with this guy.

So if I use a blow off tube, should I just leave it on permanetly during the first full fermentation?

Thanks for all the help everyone-

More headspace, keep it at the lower end of the yeast’s temperature range, and buy some Fermcap-S, too.

Ferment in the bucket… should be 6.5gallon and not 5 if you got it in a NB kit. The 6.5gallon bucket should be big enough, but use a blowoff anyway for such a big beer, just in case. Get a 3 piece airlock if you don’t have one. They’re cheap… like $2-$3.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/thre ... rlock.html

Stick the main part of the airlock through the rubber grommet in the bucket lid. DON’T use the other 2 parts of the airlock. Just take your blowoff tube and insert it over smaller inside spout on the airlock. Then run the other end of the tub into a smaller vessel with some water/starsan solution in it. I use a 1 gallon jug. Works great! Just be sure to keep an eye on your jug so if you do get a lot of blowoff that it doesn’t overflow.

You can either leave the blowoff tube in there for the entire fermentation or when active fermentation is done (3-6days?) you can remove the blowoff tube, pour a little water/starsan solution in the airlock and insert the other 2 pieces.

+1 to the temps. I’ve noticed since I’ve been able to control ferm temps with a minifridge, if I ferment in the lower end of the yeasts temp range, I rarely get blowoffs.

Awesome! Thanks for all the help everyone. I knew I’d get an answer to my questions here.

Thanks again for the help. I’m looking forward to brewing a batch in a couple of weeks here.

NB starter kits come with 6.5 gallon buckets. If you have a 5 gallon bucket it is from somewhere else. A 6.5 gallon bucket should work just fine, but you’ll want to have a blowoff just in case.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com