Imperial Pale Ale

It’s nice to be back. I’ve been gone because of various knee surgeries and a double fractured knee.*

I have pounds of freeze dried cascade and Zeus hops from my 2011 harvest.
I’m not up to doing all grain yet, but I want to make an Imperial pale ale.

Suggestions about the following recipe are needed. My goal is to make a 5 gal. IIPA with lovely bitterness and citrus cascade aroma.

Problem #1. How much light DME to use? I have seen recipes that range between 6 and 12 pounds to get the higher ABV required.
I have also seen 6 lbs DME with 3# pounds of honey to make it dry.

Problem #2 Hop timing and amounts?

60 Zeus 1oz
40 Zeus 1oz
20 Zeus 1 oz, cascade 1 oz
0 Zeus 1 oz, cascade 1 oz
dry hop in the primary @ 5 days with a mesh bag, cascade one or two oz? (Don’t do the CO2 thing - fermented in the bottle)

*For the medically curious, lost the patella to the L knee some 8 years ago. Could not get a new age KAFO because of a 20 degree contracture.
Broke the L knee @distal femur and proximal tibia that caused extremely painful muscle spasms, but straightened out the knee.
I gratefully now wear one of these http://www.tandsorthotics.co.uk/go/prod … nformation

that also has one of these on the lateral side

I don’t give a *%@ about the click it makes with each step.

Are you wanting to make an Imperial Pale or an Imperial IPA?

14C. Imperial IPA
An intensely hoppy, very strong pale ale without the big maltiness and/or deeper malt flavors of an American barleywine. Strongly hopped, but clean, lacking harshness, and a tribute to historical IPAs. Drinkability is an important characteristic; this should not be a heavy, sipping beer. It should also not have much residual sweetness or a heavy character grain profile.

Looks like it will be around 1.066 OG with all of the DME and the honey for 5 gallons. Might need to bump it up for a IIPA. For an Imperial IPA, I would make two changes to your hop schedule. First, I would switch the 40 min. addition of Zeus to 10 minutes. Second, I would make the 20 minute additions of Zeus and Cascade FWH.

Good luck,
J

[quote=“Barliman”]Looks like it will be around 1.066 OG with all of the DME and the honey for 5 gallons. Might need to bump it up for a IIPA. [/quote] Ah yes, its the OG that will tell me if I have enough malt/honey;OG needs to be between 1.07 and 1.10. I will increase DME to 7lbs and keep the honey to 3lbs to maintain a 70/30 balance as recommended by Papazian, while ensuring a high ABV. Thanks. (Can’t get smilies to work, Insert the Cool one here

I have been using Imperial pale ale, double India pale ale and imperial India Pale ale (IIPA) to refer to the same brew.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.

These guidelines are similar. http://greatbrewers.com/style/imperial- … a-pale-ale
For even more fun http://airdalebrewing.wordpress.com/200 … d-present/
Today, the terminology is used as a modification of its original meaning. Traditionally Imperial seemed to denote a beer that was produced for the Russian Court. But since it also described a beer that was a much stronger version of a popular style of the times, people tended to associate “Imperial”, with stronger styled beers. Brewers in modern times use the term “Imperial” to market their artistic creation of stronger, hoppier versions of traditional old world beers and new world beers.

Given that Cascade and Zeus are USA hops I could refer to this brew as Imperial American Pale Ale causing Thomas Jefferson to roll in his grave.

[quote=“Stardust”]Given that Cascade and Zeus are USA hops I could refer to this brew as Imperial American Pale Ale causing Thomas Jefferson to roll in his grave.[/quote]IMO, an “Imperial Pale Ale” is not the same thing as an Imperial IPA - it’s a stronger American Pale Ale keeping the same BU:GU ratio (less than one, typically). So it’s basically just a less-bitter IPA.

For your hops, I think you should add some Zeus to the dryhop - if they’re fresh, they will bring something special to the beer.

Good idea. The hops in my back yard were picked in early September, dried with a dehydrator contraption, sealed with a food saver (air removed) and have been in the freezer.
Looking forward to this coming August/September to make a wet hop batch or three,