Imperial IPA / IPA Request

Hey guys,

I’m looking for a solid Imperial IPA / or IPA recipe to brew with only one or two types of hops (American varieties, trying to keep the budget small for this recipe). I don’t think I have enough brews under my belt to create on myself yet, so any recipes of yours that you can recommend?

I love hops, and love bitter beers.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

I made a relatively simple Vienna - Calypso IPA last fall that was good.

96% Vienna Malt (I’ve thought of doing this again with just Munich :twisted: )
4% C120
4% Caramunich II

1oz Magnum 60min (any high alpha hop would work here)
1oz Calypso 10min
1.25oz Calypso 5min
1.5oz Calypso 1min
2oz Dry hop

And you could sub any American hop you like here. I’m partial to Cascade, Citra, Centennial. I just happen to have a bunch of Calypso at the time.

Wyeast 1056 or 1272 would be my suggestion. I like 1272.

On a low budget, you can’t go wrong with something like this:

15# 2-Row
1.5# Crystal 20L

Use whatever hops you like but aim for about 80 IBU and follow the 60,10, KO and dryhop idea.

I’d do: 1oz Warrior or Magnum @ 60
1 oz Centennial at 10
1 oz Cascade at 5
1 oz Centennial at KO
1oz each of cascade and centennial dryhop.

The way I read it that beer is about 8%, hoppy as hell and will make 5 gallons for 30 bucks plus your yeast (and that is if you dont already have the hops).

[quote=“dobe12”]I made a relatively simple Vienna - Calypso IPA last fall that was good.

96% Vienna Malt (I’ve thought of doing this again with just Munich :twisted: )
4% C120
4% Caramunich II

1oz Magnum 60min (any high alpha hop would work here)
1oz Calypso 10min
1.25oz Calypso 5min
1.5oz Calypso 1min
2oz Dry hop

And you could sub any American hop you like here. I’m partial to Cascade, Citra, Centennial. I just happen to have a bunch of Calypso at the time.

Wyeast 1056 or 1272 would be my suggestion. I like 1272.[/quote]

I see a lot of vienna malts when it comes to high octane IPA recipes. Any particular reason for that?