I'm starting to believe that I don't really like crystal malt

I do like GP but generally prefer MO in my english/irish ales. The negative was really for 6 row. Shoulda been more clear.

Oh gotcha. So maybe a golden promise ipa?

1 Like

That’s what i’m thinking…tried one with pils malt. Not bad…very light color and body as expected but great flavor.

1 Like

Yeh. I wanted to get some get some different malts to experiment I just like buying the base malts in bulk

1 Like

I so glad to read this! I’ve been playing with my Irish Red and replaced one pound of Maris Otter with Crystal 60. I have one batch two weeks in the bottle and one in the fermenter. When I first read your dissatisfaction with crystal malts I was afraid I had made a huge mistake!

1 Like

Haha yeh you should be fine

I stopped using crystal/ carmel malts a year ago and started adding wheat instead. Also I love golden promise and use a fair amount of it.
I’m going to start adding them back in though. I like taking breaks from ingredients. Galaxy Hops and Honey malt and I stopped talking but I might give them a call in the future

I’m actually beginning to think that it might be the munich malt that lends the flavor and aroma I feel is out of place in my IPAs because it’s starting to come out in the one I did with no c malt.

1 Like

Munich is distinctive for sure. I’ve never put it in an IPA but I can imagine it standing out.

Yea I’m not sure why it never occurred to me before. Looking back at old recipes I began putting vienna in my IPAs and liked it. Then one brew day I was out of vienna so I used munich and it was still good. At some point I started to notice the flavor/aroma that became unappealing to me. Then reading something the other day that described Munich malt flavor a light bulb went off…maybe I’ve been maligning c malt without justification…haha

Here we are.

3 Likes

Beer :+1:
Glass :thumbsdown:

:grinning:

3 Likes

Haha dont mind the Budweiser it’s the Portland stag that’s badass

1 Like

Definitely was not the Portland portion I was giving the thumbs down to. As I live in Milwaukee, when I do troll the BMC waters, it’s has to be Miller. While we’ve never made it down into Oregon, we’ve been out Washington state a few times. Absolutely beautiful area!

2 Likes

He’s right toss those Shaker pints especially the bud ones and get some nice ones. I got a set of these from Goodwill $1 apiece

3 Likes

Thats my Alt Ternative Pilsner by the way

1 Like

I saw some recently and wondered if the Sam Adams glasses the best all-around style. I know many styles have their own specific glass type. But, if I were to replace my shaker-style glasses with one type, would this be the one?

Looks amazing

Actually Jim Kotch won awards for that style glass. Apparently it’s his design. There was a article in BYO magazine and they did blind tastes with different style glasses and the Sam Adams glass won all around.

3 Likes

I have a set of the Sam Adams ones. Love them. My favorite glasses are my british “pint” 20oz glasses.

1 Like