I'm in desparate need of a session beer

I rotate between those two so IO don’t get burned out on either.

I breed the heck out of dubbel at one point, trying to perfect a recipe. I pretty much killed my desire for anything Belgian other than sours.

Here is the brown I have been enjoying. Rich, smooth, but not heavy or overpowering. Actually, alcohol was lower than I had originally thought too. Gravity of about 1.05. I finished boil with about 6.5 gallons with this recipe because I always lose about .75 gallons in the bottom of my boil kettle leaving hops/trub behind.

Style: American Brown Ale	OG: 1.051	
Type: 	FG: 1.013	
Rating: 0.0	ABV: 4.98 %	
Calories: 167	IBU's: 34.54	
Efficiency: 72 %	Boil Size: 7.39 Gal	
Color:   20.8 SRM  	Batch Size: 6.50 Gal	
	Boil Time: 60 minutes	

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.00 lbs 43.24 % Munich Malt 60 mins 1.037
3.00 lbs 21.62 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035
2.00 lbs 14.41 % Munich Malt - 20L 60 mins 1.035
0.50 lbs 3.60 % Rahr White Wheat 60 mins 1.038
0.50 lbs 3.60 % Brown Malt 60 mins 1.032
0.50 lbs 3.60 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
0.75 lbs 5.41 % Crystal Malt - 40L 60 mins 1.034
2.00 ozs 0.90 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
0.25 lbs 1.80 % Pale Chocolate 60 mins 1.030
0.25 lbs 1.80 % Kiln Coffee Malt 60 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU’s Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 21.60 Pearle 60 mins 8.00
0.50 ozs 4.46 Liberty 30 mins 4.30
0.50 ozs 5.81 Glacier 30 mins 5.60
0.50 ozs 1.51 Glacier 5 mins 5.60
0.50 ozs 1.16 Liberty 5 mins 4.30

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg British Ale II Starter Wyeast Labs 1335

Additions
(none)

Mash 60 min. at 154

Well that settles it, i think i’ll try the innkeeper. I would try the brown if i had the capacity to do all grain, hopefully by the end of the year. I’m actually welding up a brew sculpture with my father now. He’s a pain in the a$$ but he can weld!

I also really like Caribou Slobber, all grain. I make 10 gallons at a time. I add an ounce of Cascade hops half-way through the boil over and above the hops that comes with the recipe, and I have been using Wyeast “Denny’s Fav 50” yeast. I’ve made 25 gallons in the last 18 months, I love it.

Some of my favorite beers that I’ve brewed have been session beers. There’s something about them that makes it so hard to stop, especially when all you have to do is pull a tap handle.

I’d suggest kolsch, dry stout, and a standard bitter, along with a Scottish 70/-. I also really like hard cider in the fall.

If you NEED the hops fix, try Pliny the Toddler

I’m with you - I’ve been hitting the IIPA for a massive hops fix, but it quickly catches up with me! I haven’t brewed Pliny the Toddler, but think it’d be worth a shot.

Umm…This may be slightly off topic and sound weird, but I’ve NEVER had a hangover. I’ve had nights where I’ve had several too many, sleep like a baby and feel great the next morning. Session beers are good but it really does take a lot to get me drunk.

For instance, I had a dry stout before dinner tonight, then a glass of wine (12-13%abv) followed by a glass of port (19-20%abv) after dinner. Had all these within 1.5 hours or so and I only feel slightly buzzed. I know I’m going to sleep really well toinight from the way I feel. Do I just have a really high alcohol tolerance?

The Old Forge can do that to ya.

Here’s an easy all-extract session beer formula: Use 1 lb of light DME per gallon of the final batch size. Hopburst to ~40 IBU’s with the hops of your liking. Pick an ale yeast you like. Dry hop if you want. Boom, instant session Pale Ale in the 4.0-4.5% range.

[quote=“bassmannate”]Umm…This may be slightly off topic and sound weird, but I’ve NEVER had a hangover. I’ve had nights where I’ve had several too many, sleep like a baby and feel great the next morning. Session beers are good but it really does take a lot to get me drunk.

For instance, I had a dry stout before dinner tonight, then a glass of wine (12-13%abv) followed by a glass of port (19-20%abv) after dinner. Had all these within 1.5 hours or so and I only feel slightly buzzed. I know I’m going to sleep really well toinight from the way I feel. Do I just have a really high alcohol tolerance?[/quote]
This typically means two things, your an alocohic if your older and this occurs or your just younger. When I was in my early 20’s hangovers were not an issue for me either. Now that I am in my early 30’s it is more of an issue.

The Old Forge can do that to ya.[/quote]
Are you referring to the Old Forge restaurant? If so, where ya live?

I loves me some Dark Mild to break up the lighter session beers. Here is the recipe I have been working on for the last couple years.

Took Best Of Show at the 2011 Beer Dabbler Highland Fest.

Recipe Size: 6 Gallons
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.018
IBUs: 20
SRM: 20
ABV: 3.9%
Mash Efficiency: 90%

Grain Bill:
6 Lbs. Maris Otter (Crisp)
0.75 Lbs Pale Chocolate (Fawcett)
0.50 Lbs Caramel 60L (Briess)
0.50 Lbs. Caramel 120L (Briess)
0.50 Lbs. Flaked Oats

Hop Schedule:
1.25 oz Mount Hood 5.4%AA @ 60 Minutes

Yeast:
Danstar Nottingham Ale

Mash Schedule:
Mash @ 155F for 60 Minutes

Boil 70 Minutes

Ferment @ 64F for 30 Days, then straight to keg

Final Water Profile:
Calcium: 59 ppm
Magnesium: 8 ppm
Sodium: 18 ppm
Chloride: 99 ppm
Sulfate: 39 ppm
Chloride / Sulfate Ratio: 2.51

The Old Forge can do that to ya.[/quote]

Are you referring to the Old Forge restaurant? If so, where ya live?[/quote]

Yeah, the Forge. If you went out for good craft beer in the berkshires, its about the only place to find em.

I live north of ya. Been known to have a beer or two there myself.

I earned a mug @ the Forge a few years ago. Just moved to Nantucket from the very small town of Florida MA. Moe’s tavern in Lee has a killer selection of brews FYI. To keep things on topic, I’ve been hammerin’ down Caribou Slobber. Very easy drinking…

Nice to read there are so many locals here.

Session beers depend on individual taste preferences. If we are speaking of NB kits, the Innkeeper is a good option, or the Extra Pale Ale. I’d change the hop schedule a bit on it though. One oz at 60 mins, one at 15 mins and one at 1 min.

I like the American Blonde Ale that Jamil covered in BYO a couple years back.
Very simple to make and drinks very well. I enjoy it and it’s very popular with my Labatt drinking family.
This isn’t quite the same recipe, but I’ve liked it a lot.
OG 1.045
FS 1.011

10# Pale ale malt
.5# Crystal 20L
.75oz Northern Brewer @60min
.5oz Saaz @10 min
Irish Moss
WYeast 1056 or Safale US-05

Mash @ 150F until conversion complete (about 20 minutes for me)
90 min boil
Ferment 62-67
F

It’s not necessary, but I like to secondary before transfering to keg and carbonating. If you give it time, this is a VERY clear beer and looks very close to filtered.

My favorite beer to drink is my house sesssion beer.

.5lb victory
.5lb honey malt
enough 2-row to get you to 1.038
.5oz centennial 60min
1oz cascade 10 min
S-05 yeast

with this i can hang out in the garage and have 8 or 10 and still make it back to the house on my feet