I'm calling BS on this article

While that’s a convenient way to look at it, you are SO wrong.

Not sure why it should be a big deal…It’s been used in various forms in many British beers (including some outstanding British beers) for more than a century.[/quote]

It’s not a big deal…just sad. Though, using real grain is extremely time/cost prohibitive, so I can understand. (Please note sarcasm :wink: )[/quote]

No it’s not sad…it simply is what it is.

While that’s a convenient way to look at it, you are SO wrong.[/quote]

why is he wrong? I think its actually a pretty appropriate comparison. I find more high-ground nonsense in food people than in beer people, which is saying something. Granted, McK makes a blanket statement, which is as you say, ‘convenient’ and maybe unfair, but generalities exist for a reason: a large part of the generality mentioned shares the mentioned characteristic.

“Organic” is virtually meaningless now (which is addressed in Omnivore’s Dilemma, Lords of the Harvest, and Food, Inc.). Walk into Whole Foods. Wow, an ORGANIC TV dinner? That must be so healthy. The word has little if any biological meaning in the food world. Just the food marketing world.

As far as GMO’s go, I like this guy:

http://grist.org/series/panic-free-gmos/

Could he be a 1099 employee of Monsanto? Maybe (?)

I do think many foodies have moved on from the “I can’t believe you don’t buy organic bananas” mentality, and most believe that a pear from a roadside stand is “superior” to a pear from Aldi/Food King/Walmart. I think whether its superior or not, however, depends on who you ask, and there are certainly agendas on both sides of the issue.

He’s wrong because he includes me in his stereotype and it’s not accurate.

Oh! Maybe that’s why Newcastle tastes like sh*t!

ah gotcha. Well to be fair, not to speak for McK, but I think he was referring to those that turn their nose up at “non-organic” people. Many in the camp are not like that, but a few bad apples can spoil a bunch (or at least give a lot of the population a negative opinion of the bunch).

I am with you though Denny, to each their own. I try to eat as pure as possible, but I do occasionally enjoy the vegetables/meat that came from a CAFO/Monsanto-product farm, submerged in hot oil and served to me with salt…especially when I get an IPA with it…

[quote=“Pietro”]ah gotcha. Well to be fair, not to speak for McK, but I think he was referring to those that turn their nose up at “non-organic” people. Many in the camp are not like that, but a few bad apples can spoil a bunch (or at least give a lot of the population a negative opinion of the bunch).

I am with you though Denny, to each their own. I try to eat as pure as possible, but I do occasionally enjoy the vegetables/meat that came from a CAFO/Monsanto-product farm, submerged in hot oil and served to me with salt…especially when I get an IPA with it…[/quote]

Pietro, that’s why it’s dangerous to stereotype people.

The section you took issue with was my summary of the linked video, and not my personal opinion. MY opinion was the bit where I say I prefer to be a realist on the organic debate.

I do agree with them to the point that the people who would post, “don’t buy X because they have impure ingredients” act like religious zealots. That’s the point where I think they “nailed it,” I didn’t think that was you.

The section you took issue with was my summary of the linked video, and not my personal opinion. MY opinion was the bit where I say I prefer to be a realist on the organic debate.

I do agree with them to the point that the people who would post, “don’t buy X because they have impure ingredients” act like religious zealots. That’s the point where I think they “nailed it,” I didn’t think that was you.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.