I'm calling BS on this article

A friend put this on my FB wall. http://themindunleashed.org/2014/05/8-b … ately.html
Their big beef seems to be GMO (genetically modified) corn. Some of the other stuff has been used in beer for hundreds of years.

Yeah it looks like quite a bit of BS in there. Though I admit I’m not against any article which motivation is to get people drinking more craft beer :slight_smile:

I saw this one a while back also. The only 2 on there I ever drink are Guinness and Newcastle occasionally. Newcastle uses ammonia for dye…probably not good. Guinness uses ‘fish bladders’ which is basically isinglass and there’s not statement that it’s bad for you that I’m aware of. So vegetarians shouldn’t drink Guinness I suppose. whatever…

there is a great response to this somewhere out there, I’m too lazy to find it. I shared on my FB wall, but its blocked at work. The ‘responder’ outlined some great points in a PRO-GMO debate (which I hadn’t heard of, but it seems to be well-researched)!

There was another one a few months back by some idiot Lifetime-watching blogger “The Food Babe”. The response from the craft beer community was incredibly tactful and respectful, but rancorous…They avoided terms like “idiot Lifetime-watching”.

[quote=“Pietro”]there is a great response to this somewhere out there, I’m too lazy to find it. I shared on my FB wall, but its blocked at work. The ‘responder’ pointed out some great points in a PRO-GMO debate (which I hadn’t heard, but it seems to be well-researched)!

There was another one a few months back by some idiot Lifetime-watching blogger “The Food Babe”. The response from the craft beer community was incredibly tactful and respectful, but rancorous…They avoided terms like “idiot Lifetime-watching”.[/quote]

http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/201 ... dumbassery

All beer is made with one of the most successful GMO products of all time, yeast.

What about the real hazard: SALT! Salt contains chlorine and Sodium, both of which are deadly poisons!

New public health alert: don’t just cut back on salt to reduce your blood pressure, ELIMINATE salt and all foods that contain it!

Genetically modified foods are everywhere. All our food products are genetically modified by nature and selective breeding.

Relax. Don’t worry. Have a home brew!

Yeast used in brewing isn’t GMO. They can certainly engineer the yeast organism easily enough, but no strains I know of are used in brewing.

Don’t forget the biggest danger of all, dihydrogen monoxide. Killed more people than all the other components combined. Even used as a torture method.

There are very valid reasons to avoid GMO foods such as the wheat that was genetically modified by Monsanto to resist the effects of herbicide. That way when weeds sprout up within the wheat patch they can just douse the entire field with poison.

So yea maybe the GMO wheat isn’t such a bad thing, it’s also disease resistant, drought resistant, higher in protein, etc, etc, but I don’t want my cereal or bread or beer doused in poison thanks.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]There are very valid reasons to avoid GMO foods such as the wheat that was genetically modified by Monsanto to resist the effects of herbicide. That way when weeds sprout up within the wheat patch they can just douse the entire field with poison.

So yea maybe the GMO wheat isn’t such a bad thing, it’s also disease resistant, drought resistant, higher in protein, etc, etc, but I don’t want my cereal or bread or beer doused in poison thanks.[/quote]

there is no GMO wheat approved for sale or use in North Ameica at this time…you are basically talking corn, soybeans and bee sugar at this time…a lot of misinformation on the topic out there.

[quote=“beerwench”][quote=“dannyboy58”]There are very valid reasons to avoid GMO foods such as the wheat that was genetically modified by Monsanto to resist the effects of herbicide. That way when weeds sprout up within the wheat patch they can just douse the entire field with poison.

So yea maybe the GMO wheat isn’t such a bad thing, it’s also disease resistant, drought resistant, higher in protein, etc, etc, but I don’t want my cereal or bread or beer doused in poison thanks.[/quote]

there is no GMO wheat approved for sale or use in North Ameica at this time…you are basically talking corn, soybeans and bee sugar at this time…a lot of misinformation on the topic out there.[/quote]

Perhaps you’re correct regarding what’s currently approved for sale. However, http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-gmo-wheat-crop-648/

I saw that article recently, and it really irritated me to see the comment about use of fish bladder in Guinness. It’s called isinglass, and it has a long history of use in brewing and wine making, for clarification of the product. Grrr, let’s find something to protest…

I just got home and saw this and all I can say is WOW! First I was going to share the vision that my mind conjured up when I read about a woman called “THE FOOD BABE”! I won’t share because I’ll be banned from the forum. We all know our product is a healthy one. In some cases other countries thru the centuries didn’t have another healthy choice except beer. Does any intelligent thinking person going to take the FOOD BABE serious? As far as the 8 beers posted all I can say is, I’m safe.

maybe I could live longer if I didn’t drink beer. But why would I want to?

:cheers:

[quote=“tom sawyer”]
Don’t forget the biggest danger of all, dihydrogen monoxide. Killed more people than all the other components combined. Even used as a torture method.[/quote]
Also the main ingredient in acid rain :lol:
I got a chuckle out of the article immediately realizing it was a load of crap. I found the same rebuttal article Denny posted and it is a good read.[quote=“Old Guy”]First I was going to share the vision that my mind conjured up when I read about a woman called “THE FOOD BABE”! I won’t share because I’ll be banned from the forum. [/quote]
Well she is actually very nice looking.

I think Penn and Teller nailed it in their show Bullsh*t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku6m0TF9CUg

They’re not talking about beer production or GMO’s but “Organic” foods in general.

Basically “going organic” is like a religion; true believers will not have their faith shaken, and will look down their noses on non-believers. Their faith even includes a tenant that nonbelievers will be smitten for their non-belief. Also like other faiths, non-believers will see evangelists as a bunch of self-important ***holes. Both sides use sketchy information to support their position.

I prefer to be a realist on food. I don’t want artificial crap if it doesn’t have to be there, but not all artificial is crap.

On a side note, I would love to read the story of the first guy to discover that beaver anal glands tasted like raspberries and vanilla.

Using caramel coloring in Newcastle is just sad.

Not sure why it should be a big deal…It’s been used in various forms in many British beers (including some outstanding British beers) for more than a century.

Not sure why it should be a big deal…It’s been used in various forms in many British beers (including some outstanding British beers) for more than a century.[/quote]

It’s not a big deal…just sad. Though, using real grain is extremely time/cost prohibitive, so I can understand. (Please note sarcasm :wink: )