Igloo Cooler for Mash Tun

I just got the hardware to convert my 5 Gal Igloo to a mash tun. I noticed in another post that “Shadetree” said one of the biggest mistakes he ever made was using One Step instead of Star San in it. Why is that? Will One Step ruin my Igloo? Any feed back would be appreciated, since I don’t wish to ruin my investment.

Paul

One step will not ruin your cooler, but do not use it as “no rinse” sanitizer. Just use it as a cleaner and rinse thoroughly. Use Star San to sanitize.

When I first started brewing, I used to use One Step as a cleaner/sanitizer and and all of my brews had a distinctive off flavor to them that I could never figure out. Once I quit using, the problem went away.

[quote=“Legman”]One step will not ruin your cooler, but do not use it as “no rinse” sanitizer. Just use it as a cleaner and rinse thoroughly. Use Star San to sanitize.

When I first started brewing, I used to use One Step as a cleaner/sanitizer and and all of my brews had a distinctive off flavor to them that I could never figure out. Once I quit using, the problem went away.[/quote]
+1 One step will not ruin your cooler.
I recirculate PBW through mine.

OK, thanks, Legman. I figured as long as it was clean, I’d be OK, since everything that runs through it still is boiled for an hour. I was thinking of running PBW through it before my first use, which should be this weekend.

Paul T

[quote=“paultuttle”]I noticed in another post that “Shadetree” said one of the biggest mistakes he ever made was using One Step instead of Star San in it.[/quote]Just to clarify, I wasn’t talking about using One Step or StarSan in the mashtun (all it needs is a quick spray and wipedown, no need to sanitize it).

Yea, you guys had me scratching my head, asking what??. tun only needs a rinse with good hot water to get any residual sugar out of it.

cheers.

Yeah, I didn’t mean you had to sanitize your mash tun. No need to do that.