Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

If you do not have a mill go get one

i was getting about 50-60% efficiency when i got pre crushed grains…finally got a mill now my BHE is 80%…so if you do not have a mill get one cause it really makes a difference…just wanted to share this with yall, i know most of you already know this…but if you are like me and put off buying a mill for a long time…do yourself a favor and get one…cheers

Which one did you get? I recently picked up the Barley Crusher, but haven’t tried it yet. Probably a week or two before it gets used. Not sure what the factory setting is, but it sounds like .032 is a good place to be for BIAB. Can’t wait to try it! :cheers:

That’s what mine is set at. If you don’t already, research grain conditioning. Helps with a tight crush.

I got the barley crusher as well…your gonna love this thing…its badass and there is a lifetime guarantee…I tried it out with a 600 rpm drill and milled 14lbs in about 2 mins…cheers

Cool,
They recommend 300-500 RPM on the instructions. Do you try to go slow or just let ‘er rip? I suppose you watch what’s going and adjust as needed. Now i’m jonesin’ to brew!! :smiley:

[quote=“Thirstyone”]Cool,
They recommend 300-500 RPM on the instructions. Do you try to go slow or just let ‘er rip? I suppose you watch what’s going and adjust as needed. Now i’m jonesin’ to brew!! :smiley: [/quote]

Yeah you are right they do say 500 but mine was a 600… i just let er rip and it worked beautifully…yeah man when you brew you are gonna dig the barley crusher…i found having control over the crush produces a higher quality wort as well…enjoy it bro cheers

I have had my Monster Mill for just over a year now. Beyond just getting better efficiency, I get consistent efficiency. That in of it self made it totally worth it. No more wondering if the brew shop messed with the mill settings again. Also, being able to buy grain in bulk has saved me $$$. :cheers:

Exactly…money savings, better/consistent BHE, conrol… .A basic 5 gallon beer kit runs 25-30 bucks…a 50 lb sack cost about 30-35 and can produce about 20-25 gallons…and if you wash an reuse yeast that just saved another 6-7 bucks per batch…yup a mill is probably one of the most handy tools in my brewery…Im about to buy 50 lbs 2 row and a pound of hops all for about 50 bucks cant beat that

Just picked up a Barley Crusher (along with a new corded drill to replace my antique cordless) and I went through 15.25 lbs in no time. :cheers:

I know its awesome right?..I am dialed in to 85% efficiency now cause of this mill…great stuff cheers

Where might I be able to find a spacing gauge? I think I’ve seen one before, it kind of looks like a metal paint sample book. Like a bunh of metal strips of different think was that are bound by a pivot at one end. Auto store maybe?

I just used a credit card worked fine…adjust the rollers so they touch the card but the card should be able to move freely and not tightly in the rollers…but those feeler gauges can be bought at any home improvment store

You can also get feeler gauges at guitar shops

Question on size. I brew about once a month and typical grain bills are 10-14 pounds. With that, could I get away with the 7 pounder or should I go for the 15? I don’t see a big deal reloading the hopper a few times. Thoughts???

I have the 7 lbs hopper and normally crush 20-24 lbs for each brew. I just reload as needed.

Wonder if auto parts stores still carry feeler gauges? You used to use them to set your points but those are a thing of the past. Guess you can still gap spark plugs.

yup auto store carry them too

Yeah i have the 7lb hopper and just like you my grain bill’s are usually 12-15 lbs…this mill burns through grain if you use the drill

Yeah i have the 7lb hopper and just like you my grain bill’s are usually 12-15 lbs…this mill burns through grain if you use the drill[/quote]

+1 Just did my first two batches last weekend with my new BC with 7 lb. hopper. Worked ok with a cordless drill until the damn battery died! Broke out an electric variable speed, wow what a difference. Smoked through it! One lesson learned was if you mill rye or white wheat, they’re like little frickin’ diamonds!! Hard stuff man! I sprayed a little water on them, mixed it up, then let it sit for about 15 mins. Made a difference when grinding. Somebody warned me of that on another post. Anyway, good luck. :slight_smile:

So, I ordered the 7#. Says it’s set to .039 standard. Is this what you all use?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com