Idea for a Chardonnay Infused Beer

Abomination? :thinking:

C’mon Unc, ya gotta be open to the possibilities! Leave no stone unturned, no mix untried, no concoction undrunk!!

1 Like

And it is a saison I’m using, a French style. You know they’d be ok with adding a little wine!

For the Farmhouse ale, I’ve got one on the go and I’m going to blend an unoaked, finished Chardonnay into it, to taste, before kegging it. This appeals to my winemaker side because I can adjust absolutely everything, from residual sugar to acidity, pH, etc. It’s essentially a blended refreshment beverage, sort of the same thing as a malt-based ‘cooler’, as rendered by the big brewers, only made with good base beer and excellent base wine. We’ll see what happens with it.

My plan on the sour to brew a very light Saison, with an OG of less than 1.035, then boost it to 1.050 by adding Master Vintner Muscat, and ferment with some lactic character (have not yet decided how to proceed: kettle sour, probably) and add another dose as priming sugar in the keg with a spunding valve to capture the CO2. I’ll play it by ear once it’s carbonated: if it’s too sour (possibility since grape juice is so highly fermentable) then I might sterile filter and back-sweeten with more Muscat concentrate.

Okay, this all just went sideways on me: I was pitching some ideas to a magazine and they want me to do an article on beers made with grape must. So that’s happening, and I’ll document it with pictures and process for my website, and you’ll be able to read the full story in the magazine when it comes out.

Extra work: that’s what I get for being nerdy.

1 Like

sounds like a great project!

Cheers

Ron