I want to brew a soooooour beeeeer

:frowning: but I can’t yet.

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy can’t you?

mostly b/c of the dedication of equipment. Unless I’m wrong what I’ve researched about making sours includes keeping a wholly different set of equipment to avoid cross-contamination.

that seems to be a concern for plastic equipment. and only post fermentation. So all you would need is a dedicated bucket (unless you have glass fermenters). and a dedicated siphon with bottling bucket (unless you have kegs).

if you have glass carboys, and kegs. all you would need is a siphon. unless there’s something i’m missing here. I haven’t made a sour yet

Do you do all grain? If so, you can do a sour mash/sour wort and use all your existing equipment. You won’t get a bold. complex lambic going this route, but you can make a nice Berliner Weisse that way.

Frankly, if your cleaning and sanitization is up to snuff, I think the risk of cross-contamination is a bit overstated. I’d keep separate tubing, autosiphons and bottling wands (and maybe a separate spigot for your bottling bucket), but if your fermenters and bottling buckets aren’t badly scratched up, then a hot full-strength PBW soak, followed by a soak in a hot bleach solution really should be fine.

If you want to use lactobacillus to make something like a gose or a Berliner Weiss, it takes some time for the full sour flavor to develop-like several months in the bottle. Warm fermentations and bottle conditioning help as well, the bacteria is more active in the 70-75 degree range. Lacto bacillus is inhibited by hops, and over 10 IBU will really slow them down, so careful attention to cleaning and sanitation, maybe using a separate siphon, and using the fermentor for something hoppy on the next brew should work. I have a separate siphon, but I have used a plastic fermentor and bottling bucket after careful cleaning and sanitation ( you want to be sure to break down any biofilms the bacteria might have made during cleaning and then sanitize well) with no signs of infection in any of the subsequent beers.

What do you guys think about Dawson’s Kriek?

I use buckets for sours and then conventional beers. Just clean well and sanitize thoroughly. The bugs are no less susceptible to the standard sanitizers.

Dawsons kriek makes a great sour. It wsa the first sour I made, and at a year it was boldly sour and tasty. People who know sours were surprised it was an extract kit.

I’ve only been doing this for a little more than a year, but why, with sanitation and the like, would it matter if you used the same equipment?

And this is why I’m trying to isolate the hop resistant Lactobacillus strain as I show here:

http://bkyeast.wordpress.com/2012/12/27 ... -part-i-2/

I’d recommend having separate plastic equipment like bucket and syphon, but glass, SS, and unscratched better bottles can be cleaned just fine.

Interesting info Dimik-it will be nice to know about a hop resistant strain.

Not to get off topic but i don’t think that I have ever had a sour and they do seem to be popular on the board right now, what would you recommend for someone to try from the store. I live in the twin cities so getting out to blue max or 44 and france would be easy. Just interested if this may be a style I would like to try brewing at some point. Thanks and Cheers

The sour beer tree is almost as extensive as the Ale tree. You can start off with really mild sours like Goze or Berleiner Weise or go straight for the pucker. Odell’s “The Meddler” is a sour brown to die for. Deschutes makes “The Dissident” and I’m pretty sure it’s kriek-ish if not completely… so many choices. If you’ve got a solid bottle shop just ask!

I’d suggest you make a stop over at Four Firkins or Ale Jail and ask them for some help. Lots of other places to go too but those two shops have very knowledgeable staff and a good selection of beers.

Also look for when Pour Decision’s up in Roseville does a release of their Berliner Wiesse, very good stuff and well worth stopping by to grab some. :cheers:

Heres a link to the BJCP styles for sours:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php

I would look for something from Cantillon or Rodenbach, two premier larger sour brewers. Theres also Ducchesse du Bourgogne. Then theres some slightly smaller brewers like Drei Fontenen and Oud Beersel that makes authentic products. Domestic offerings I’d try include Monks Cafe and New Belgium’s La Folie although the latter isn’t that terribly sour compared to some of the others I mentioned.

Dregs from these bottles are great for making a really sour beer.

I had one of my beers become infected and now have dedicated ‘souring-equipment’ because of it. Got a 5 gallon better bottle, racking cane, bung, airlock, tubing, etc all segregated from the rest of my equipment.

Too bad I’m not a fan of sours… yet! I keep trying them, but haven’t developed a taste for them yet. I’m determined to change that though.

Heh. I think my less-than-perfect success rate at homebrewing has been the single biggest force in expanding my palate. If I can get through 5 gallons of beer that came out X because I screwed something up, it’s suddenly easy to appreciate beer that’s actually supposed to be X.

Most of the dedicated equipment won’t be necessary for several months to a year just your fermenter will tied up. You won’t be racking (depending on what your making exactly) for 90 days to a year. Get some wort in contact with yeast and bugs you can sort out the rest later :cheers: