Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

I need a little yeast advise

I’m makeing my first brew, and I’m nearing the point where I’m done doiling all the ingredients. I put the brew of beer in the fermentation pot. The instructions tell me to not put the yeast in until the temp is below 90 f. My question is will it hurt if I fell asleep for a few hours and didn’t get the yeast put in the batch asap?

Thanks

[quote=“jadedude289”]I’m makeing my first brew, and I’m nearing the point where I’m done doiling all the ingredients. I put the brew of beer in the fermentation pot. The instructions tell me to not put the yeast in until the temp is below 90 f. My question is will it hurt if I fell asleep for a few hours and didn’t get the yeast put in the batch asap?

Thanks[/quote]
Did u cover the pot? Ideally, after the boil, you want everything to be sanitized and don’t want the wort exposed to open air for extended periods (there is lots of airborne bacteria, wild yeast, etc). However, if you have it sealed up In a food grade container, you can leave overnight for sure. Not sure what u mean by '“fermentation pot”.

If its an ale, get the temperature to 60-65 degrees before you pitch The yeast. If you can get the temperature down You can leave it for several hours before you do this, even a day if everything is properly sanitized. like mentioned above there are threats present in the air so there is never a guarantee. I have left chilled beer in the fermenter for 24 hours before I added (pitched) the yeast.

To get the temp down faster. Put the fermenter into a bucket or a sink with cold water and ice. Keep everything that comes in contact with the beer (wort) properly sanitized and you should be safe

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com