I mashed 7 degrees too low

Because I failed to re-calibrate my thermometer. :oops:

I was at least 7 degrees low, meaning I mashed at roughly 144. I have tasted the end product and it is thin and dry and not at all what I was going for.

I guess the reason for my post is to ask how often you all re-calibrate your thermometers, and to ask if this has ever happened to you. And if so, what was your end result? The beer is really not very good… :cry:

For what its worth. . .

I have a lab thermometer that I checked against my high school’s (I teach not attend) lab thermometers this fall.

I use the lab thermometer to take temps that I can wait on - grain temp to calculate my strike water temp. I check my digital against this at this time.

As my strike water heats I take its temp with both the lab therm and my digital therm. If they read the same (and they have since I replaced my digital) I just use the digital during the rest of the brew.

[quote=“greatplainsbrwr”]For what its worth. . .

I have a lab thermometer that I checked against my high school’s (I teach not attend) lab thermometers this fall.

I use the lab thermometer to take temps that I can wait on - grain temp to calculate my strike water temp. I check my digital against this at this time.

As my strike water heats I take its temp with both the lab therm and my digital therm. If they read the same (and they have since I replaced my digital) I just use the digital during the rest of the brew.[/quote]

Interesting. Do you implement this procedure to save wear and tear on your lab thermometer, as in dropping, getting it wet etc?

I use a Big Boy Thermomiter and check it before evry brew day in 32F water. I find that half the time it’s fine the other half I need to adjust it by 2 deg F

The digital is just faster. I just like to check it against the lab thermometer.