Today’s batch of espresso stout went like clockwork. I mashed in at 8 am and was all done and cleaned up by noon, which was perfect because we have to leave home around 2 pm. Everything was clean and put away, and I was feeling really good about myself. Until…
I checked my wort gravity against the recipe and realized I was 14 points low. Turns out I was supposed to boil for 90 min, instead of 60. Doh!! I considered just keeping it as it was, at 1.054. But I knew it would bug me, and decided to go ahead and bring it back to a boil for another 30 min.
I decided against adding any more hops, since it would only be a difference of 6 IBU, and I’ll get some bitterness from the espresso.
Anyway, so I was obviously pretty frustrated at this point and really cranked the burner to get it boiling again. Ran down to get my spoon, came back to a full-on boilover. :evil:
Dear God, talk about going from one extreme to the other. So now I’m trying to beat the clock and get this thing boiled, chilled, and cleaned up sometime in the next hour. Wish me luck. :roll: