Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

I just ruined two batches

Brewed a esp this evening. Got S04 ready for it. Come out, pumped it with o2. And pitch the yeast.

Then look down. Sh!t, I just did that to the wrong carboy. I just waisted my only package of s04 and poured it in three wrong beer… So now my esb and to be pitched with us05.

not happy. Then I realized I probably destroy the american blonde by pumping pure O2 into it. So it will be oxidated.

I couldn’t be more upset with myself. All this time on these two beers. One isn’t going to be what I wanted due to wrong yeast. The other probably just needs to be dumped.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Brewed a esp this evening. Got S04 ready for it. Come out, pumped it with o2. And pitch the yeast.

Then look down. Sh!t, I just did that to the wrong carboy. I just waisted my only package of s04 and poured it in three wrong beer… So now my esb and to be pitched with us05.

not happy. Then I realized I probably destroy the american blonde by pumping pure O2 into it. So it will be oxidated.

I couldn’t be more upset with myself. All this time on these two beers. One isn’t going to be what I wanted due to wrong yeast. The other probably just needs to be dumped.[/quote]

Don’t dump it. The difference between S04 and US-05 isn’t that much. Extra oxidation prior to fermentation is no big deal either, if I am understanding you.

Fermentation was done on the blonde the krusen had fallen. That why I didn’t notice it was the wrong carboy.

That’s a terrible feeling and we’ve all been there.

Your ESB will be fine. I’ve seen and even made ESB’s where the recipe calls for US-05. Maybe not 100% tradition but it will still taste good.

Think of the Blonde as your own experiment in stalling. Get it kegged/bottled and drank ASAP and see if you get a cardboard flavor going on. It probably won’t be as bad as you think.

Also, when I have several batched going at once, the carboys get post-it notes on them saying what’s inside. I started doing that after going to dry hop a batch and doing the eeny, meeny, miny, moe thing to determine which one the hops went in.

Would it help to add some sugar to the blonde, get fermentation back going. It will dry it out. But would that help with oxygenation?

That’s a good question. I’m not expert by a long shot, but I would think that you would need to add more fermentables than you would want in order to have the yeast absorb all the oxygen. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can give some input there.

My thought would still be to package and consume quickly. The nice thing is that a Blonde is a beer that is ready to drink quickly. If is was something like a barley wine, you would have a much bigger problem with stalling.

I ended up just making it a strawberry blonde for the girlfriend. Racked onto four lbs of strawberries and 2/3 cup of sugar. Hopefully that will ferment enough to remove the O2.

Not really what I was wanting, but had to do something.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]I ended up just making it a strawberry blonde for the girlfriend. Racked onto four lbs of strawberries and 2/3 cup of sugar. Hopefully that will ferment enough to remove the O2.

Not really what I was wanting, but had to do something.[/quote]

I like the resourceful fix though, Macgyver.
Strawberry blonde to me sounds like, YUCK! But it sure beats dumping it.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Not really what I was wanting, but had to do something.[/quote]Judging from the typos and grammar mistakes in the OP, I’m guessing you were drinking a little heavier than usual while brewing? :wink:

Actually wasn’t. Was just beyond angry, and posting from my phone. the two don’t work so well together.

i think your ESB will be just fine.

i recently made 10 gallons ESB. 5 gallons with wyeast 1968 (london ESB), and the other 5 gallons with wyeast 1056 (american ale).

bottled it last night, and i think i like the 1056 version better. BUT, maybe I’ll like the 1968 better once it is cold and carbed.

point being… american ale yeast will still make a fine beer

I am still wondering how this happened if a keg of beer wasn’t involved. :roll:

It’s hard to believe that oxidation to that level is reversible, but it is worth the try! I almost did something like that recently. My gas in posts are red, but I accidentally had them reversed on a keg that I had just racked into and was topping off with CO2. It pumped the CO2 to the bottom and bubbled up into the headspace. I caught it quickly, but I am still worried about the minimal oxidation at the surface in those few moments. Hopefully we both will be okay! Good luck and start putting tape on your beers to identify them. I would go nuts trying to figure out what is what with 13 kegs in my rotation…so I got a roll of painters tape for just this reason.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com