I have my wine making kit-now what?

[quote=“dobe12”]That’s a shame. I can 100% say I’ve had more good homebrew than crappy. I’ve had plenty of crappy. I’m in a brew club with close to 250 members, so there’s always some bad home brew around. But the good has far outweighed the bad.

But home made wine, completely the opposite. I can easily say I’ve had much more bad home made wine than good. This is the main reason I’ve never thought about making my own wine. I’ve had so much crap and a decent bottle of wine isn’t expensive… so I just never thought about making it.[/quote]

Most wine I have had (homemade) has been good because most people that I run into that make wine know what the hell they are doing, brewing I see the opposite or inexpierience

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“dobe12”]That’s a shame. I can 100% say I’ve had more good homebrew than crappy. I’ve had plenty of crappy. I’m in a brew club with close to 250 members, so there’s always some bad home brew around. But the good has far outweighed the bad.

But home made wine, completely the opposite. I can easily say I’ve had much more bad home made wine than good. This is the main reason I’ve never thought about making my own wine. I’ve had so much crap and a decent bottle of wine isn’t expensive… so I just never thought about making it.[/quote]

Most wine I have had (homemade) has been good because most people that I run into that make wine know what the hell they are doing, brewing I see the opposite[/quote]

This logic makes perfect sense! Now that I think about it, I’m surprised my experience hasn’t followed this logic.

In my experience, most homemade wine I have tried that was not from a kit was practically undrinkable.

Anything made from a kit was completely dependant on the kit itself. And in the cases a high end kits, a monkey could get good results. As far as home grown…very difficult to get high calibre grapes growing in your back yard without really knowing what you are doing.

In the case of beer… it does depend a lot on the process and/or if it was done from a well designed kit or well thought out recipe. But in the end, the skill of the brewer tends to have a lot more to do with the end result. Quality ingredients are easy to get ahold of, so that has nothing to do with the result.