I don't know how to ask nicely

but if I have all of this equipment (deluxe kit) and I make a beer per directions from NB and How to Brew by Palmer, and I like most all beers except the IPA I had tonight, will I like what I brew?

Also, Im not in a hurry. I’m planning on 3-4 weeks in primary and 4+ weeks in bottle. Ferm temps will be in the low 60s.

I just do not want this to be a facepalm experience. Sorry for the pessimism.

Thanks for all responses.

No pessimism. You’ll never know what you like until you try it. Pick an ale that you like, an English Brown or Bitter. I started with a Nukey Brown Ale from NB. Then moved around to other ales. Then …

Experiment, some may be what you want, others you’ll give to your friends or whatever. You need to find your niche.

RDWHAHB!

Brew beer you like, end of story. If you don’t like IPA, don’t brew it. I don’t usually reach for an IPA when I am out, so I don’t usually brew IPA. I would think if you, or someone else, went and got you a deluxe kit than you are probably somewhat into beer. What kind of beer is that? Find that style and brew it well and you will really enjoy what you make. Maybe after a while you will find yourself branching out into styles that previously were of no interest to you before?

im not sure i understand the question… your own taste buds will be the deciding factor

Do you not like IPA’s in general or just the one you had tonight? I’ve had some IPA’s that I would not have again, but I love the style.

As has been mentioned, find the style you link the most and get a kit to mimic it.

3 weeks in primary and 4 in the bottle is an excellent time line.

Blake…for the current kit you have, caribou slobber, I read it’s like moose drool or Newcastle. If you enjoy those, I believe you will enjoy the CS. Just brew it and you will for sure find out in 6-8 weeks.

Maybe post up some names of the beers you buy at the store and people can suggest brew kits you might enjoy.

Having brewed for 15 years, I can say that the answer to your question (provided you like a variety of beers and are open to tasting new beers) is “probably.”

There is no guarantee that you will like every beer you make - even if you do everything “right.” I brew 150-200 gallons per year (5 gallons at a time), and I still have beers I make that don’t turn out like I would have wished. In fact, I usually have some bottles of “cooking/bratwurst beer” on hand. To be honest - my first beers were hit and miss while I learned. But, now, I am usually pretty confident in the results I will get with the beers I brew.

That being said - the way to give yourself the best chance at enjoying it:

1.) Pick a basic, “forgiving” style you like (brown ales, amber ales, etc. tend to be along these lines for many).

2.) SANITATION! This is the #1 way to not like your beer - especially when starting out. Do you have an experienced, homebrewing friend that makes consistently good beer? If so, see if they will be on hand for your first brew day - an experienced brewer can show you dozens of simple, effective tricks and just basic methodology to help keep everything organized, clean, etc. This is especially important for your transfers, fermentation and bottling. Get the sanitation right, and it goes a LONG way toward making very good beer.

3.) Ask for help, read, watch videos, etc. No one was a great brewer right off the bat. It takes some time and experience.

4.) Finally, remember, It is about enjoying yourself and having fun. It is not going to save you money and it should not seem like a “chore.” If it it is, you are better off buying a few six packs that you like.

Do as much reading as possible before you brew will give the best chance of getting the best beer you can make.

I did a bunch of reading online. John Palmer’s book online, forums etc. You can pick up so much valuable info online.

I gained enough knowledge before ever brewing the first kit that I had a good understanding of factors that make the greatest impact on the beer.

After that pick a style of beer you like and jump in with both feet.

Brew what you already like. Don’t brew 5 gallons of a beer style to see if you like it.
I did this with my 3rd batch ever, a Hefeweizen. 200 batches later and I haven’t repeated that mistake. It is much better to buy a $4 bottle of beer to figure out if you like the style.

[quote=“Wahoo”]Brew what you already like. Don’t brew 5 gallons of a beer style to see if you like it.
I did this with my 3rd batch ever, a Hefeweizen. 200 batches later and I haven’t repeated that mistake. It is much better to buy a $4 bottle of beer to figure out if you like the style.[/quote]
+1
fermenting at 60* you can make a wide variety of ales…Do you like ale?

Yes…having said that I typically drink lagers - the popular American (coors light, for example), sam adams boston lager, Leffe, Pilsner Urquell.

I ordered petite saisson and American Amber Ale…so we shall see. Also have caribou slobber.

I think the petite w/ safbrew yeast is going to go in spare bathroom. House temps are around 65 degrees.

The Amber Ale is going in the basement, where temp is mid to upper 50s, typically 57-59.

Is this ok or can I put them both in basement to ferment?

Again thanks for all responses.

Depending on the yeast you use, the upper 50s might be too cool. 65°F air temperature should be about right for most ales. That will put the beer temperature around 70°F at high krausen, which is fine. If you want, you could put the fermenter into a tub of water and keep the beer temperature very close to ambient.

Don’t freak out. Making beer is dead simple. Start with quality ingredients, pay attention to pitching rate, fermentation temperature, and sanitation, and you’ll make good beer. Better than a lot of commercial craft beer, probably.

Leffe is an ale, BTW.