Hydrometer sanitize

New to brewing here. I recently purchased a hydrometer and I want to check and see if my Irish red ale is ready for bottling but my question is how do you keep it sanitized if you want to check it periodically. Do you mix 5 gallons each time??? Thanks

StarSan can be stored and continue to be effective for long periods of time. I usually mix up a new batch everytime I brew (so I keep it around till the current batch is bottled). As long as the pH of the solution remains under 3 it will still effectively sanitize.

I like to keep a spray bottle filled so I can just spray the hydrometer off every time i use it.

I too mix up Starsan and keep it for a while, but I don’t sanitize my hydrometer as it never touches the wort that will eventually be bottled. I sanitize the thief that I use to draw a sample and put enough into the test jar to float the hydrometer. Then I drink the sample and rinse off all three. :cheers:

Thank you guys

Why do you need to sanitize the hydrometer? Use a sanitized thief or turkey to pull a sample and put it in your test flask. Then drink the sample when you’re done.

I tried sanitizing a turkey once. It just ran off and got dirty again. The second time the turkey drank the sample.

I’m sorry Denny. I know you meant turkey baster. It’s just a fun day here. Got above 0°.

Or you could put the sanitized hydrometer into the sanitized thief and skip the test flask. After you take the reading, simply touch the tip of the thief to the inner side of your fermentor to empty it back in or into a glass if you want to take a taste. Been doing this for years, never a single problem.

+1

I tried sanitizing a turkey once. It just ran off and got dirty again. The second time the turkey drank the sample.

I’m sorry Denny. I know you meant turkey baster. It’s just a fun day here. Got above 0°.[/quote]

Making fun of my bad typing, huh? :wink:

Or you could put the sanitized hydrometer into the sanitized thief and skip the test flask. After you take the reading, simply touch the tip of the thief to the inner side of your fermentor to empty it back in or into a glass if you want to take a taste. Been doing this for years, never a single problem.[/quote]

But then you can’t taste the beer!