Hydrometer FAQ Help

Hello all,
I have a question about my hydrometer, it seems to be off by .010. I tested my hydrometer in RO water at 59F it read 1.010. I just figured that i could just subtract the og by.010, example my 1.050 cream ale would actually be 1.040. After fermentation a reading of 1.02 would be 1.01. Is this okay or is there something i can do about it, i don’t see a need in throwing out a hydrometer with an offreading if i could just correct it myself. Open any suggestions and any comments on how the hydrometer reading could be off by .010.

That all sounds right assuming your thermometer is calibrated and the hydrometer is calibrated for 60F.

Thanks for the reply. My hydrometer is a used Triple scale hydrometer like the one they sell here on NB (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/trip … meter.html). I bought it from a buddy of mine for 5 bucks, it works and that’s all i’m asking from it. Is there anyway to shift the paper?

I doubt there is any way to shift the paper without the risk of breaking the hydrometer. those things are a little fragile. My first thought was that the paper had shifted like you just said.

One thing you could do is get some distilled water, etc and then measure the gravity with your hydrometer and maybe somebody else’s too. If it is off, you might be better off to spend the $8 on a new one.

Just a guess here…mine’s off by 1.004 and I’m going to try this.

Put it in hot water to possible get some expansion of the gas in the hydrometer (unless it’s a vacuum and then this will get you no where). Lightly tap the hydrometer on a towel on the counter. Tap the weighted side if you want the paper to move down (reads high) or the other end to move the paper up (reads low). I’m going to try this tonight since I’m going to have my brew stuff out anyway and see how it goes. I hope I’m not posting another “broke my hydrometer” thread.

That should work. I’ll add that you should probably calibrate it every few batches from now on. I’d imagine that once the little glue bead breaks the paper is more likely to slip again.

That should work. I’ll add that you should probably calibrate it every few batches from now on. I’d imagine that once the little glue bead breaks the paper is more likely to slip again.[/quote]

For all of that extra work(unless you have distilled water always), I would buy another one next time you are at your LHBS or place an online order. Plus it never hurts to have an extra one of these.

FWIW, I agree, but there’s no reason to use distilled water to calibrate a hydrometer with the precision we’re using.