Hydrometer broken?

So I brewed an IPA tonight, I used 3lbs Pilsen DME + 5oz priming sugar at 60min and added 6lbs Pilsen LME at 15mins before end of boil. I had a 1oz 60min hop addition, 2oz 30min, and 1oz 10min.

When all was said and done and I placed it in the primary, checked the OG, it was 1.030?!

To me that OG is way too low for the amount of ingredients placed in the beer, is there a good chance my hydrometer is broken?

A five gallon batch would have an OG of about 1.071 with the amount of fermentables added. Ten gallons would be 1.036. Test your hydrometer in distilled water. The SG should read 1.000 if the water is at the calibration temperature for the hydrometer. The calibration temperature is 60°F or 68°F. The calibration temperature is printed on the card inside the hydrometer, at the bottom of the scale.
With regular tap water the SG should be very close to 1.000.

Just checked with my reg tap, and it was right within the 1.000 range… what on earth went wrong?

Can we confirm that my IPA is not going to be a stupid session beer and this was some kind of fluke?

Was this a five gallon batch? Did you do a partial boil and then add top off water to the fermentor? It is difficult to get a good mix of wort and top off water. Your sample may have come from part of wort that was lower in fermentables.

Was the hydrometer floating in the sample tube, or did it bottom out with the meniscus at 1.030??

If the volume is correct in the fermentor, and you added the fermentables listed, your OG will be about 1.071 for a five gallon brew. I didn’t add in your five ounces of priming sugar. This is the calculator I used.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/extract-ogfg/

I don’t take an OG reading anymore because of the mixing problem. My fermentors are accurately marked at five gallons, so the volume is always correct. I weigh all the fermentables, and don’t forget any, so the OG must be what the calculators say it should be.

Flars you hit it right on the head, Yes it was a 5gal batch and I topped it off with a half gallon of water, to bring it to 5gallons and took my sampling immediately from the top before I oxygenated the batch… phew… I was really worried for a second there. Thanks so much for your helping me figure out this fluke on my part.

Can I safely assume this OG at 65 degrees F was 1.071>

[quote=“NYBrewman”]Flars you hit it right on the head, Yes it was a 5gal batch and I topped it off with a half gallon of water, to bring it to 5gallons and took my sampling immediately from the top before I oxygenated the batch… phew… I was really worried for a second there. Thanks so much for your helping me figure out this fluke on my part.

Can I safely assume this OG at 65 degrees F was 1.071>[/quote]

Beer should be within a point or two either side of 1.074. I added in the five ounces of priming sugar. OG calculators may calculate different numbers based on the fermentables. It depends on how many Points Per Gallon are assigned for DME and LME in the calculator.

Life would be to easy if every problem had a simple solution.

RIght after my last post I went to that OG calculator website, to say the least it’s bookmarked now.

Woke up this morning to some krausen flowing out the carb, hooked up a make shift blow off, the room its stored in has this awesome dank hoppy scent, I’m very much looking foward to this beer.