Hyacinth Beer...calling Dr. Conn

My wife is a huge fan of this flower. The slightest sign of spring (read: 50* in Rochester, NY) and our house is full of them. I’m pretty sure the flower itself is (at least somewhat) toxic.

I wanted to make her a beer with an intense (but still complex and balanced) floral aroma like the flower. Google led me to a Ratebeer review of Achel Blonde (tripel), in which one reviewer notes it in the aroma.

I am thinking that this aroma largely comes from fresh noble hops (Styrian and/or Saaz, according to this thread on NB viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82219).

I have brewed a trip in awhile and tend to not seek them out all that much (I am really developing a preference for beers that are 5-7% ABV maximum).

So I suppose I have 2 questions:

-it doesn’t seem like I need to brew a tripel to get this sort of heavy floral aroma, but MAAAAAYBE the booze and other Belgian esters balance out the floral notes in the hops so the beer doesn’t smell like a flower shop. Could I perhaps get a balanced aroma profile (but heavy toward floral) in something like a patersbier or other session-ish Belgian?
-Are my hop intuitions accurate, or are there any others that could deliver?

(one more): WLP 500?

[quote=“Pietro”]My wife is a huge fan of this flower. The slightest sign of spring (read: 50* in Rochester, NY) and our house is full of them. I’m pretty sure the flower itself is (at least somewhat) toxic.

I wanted to make her a beer with an intense (but still complex and balanced) floral aroma like the flower. Google led me to a Ratebeer review of Achel Blonde (tripel), in which one reviewer notes it in the aroma.

I am thinking that this aroma largely comes from fresh noble hops (Styrian and/or Saaz, according to this thread on NB viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82219).

I have brewed a trip in awhile and tend to not seek them out all that much (I am really developing a preference for beers that are 5-7% ABV maximum).

So I suppose I have 2 questions:

-it doesn’t seem like I need to brew a tripel to get this sort of heavy floral aroma, but MAAAAAYBE the booze and other Belgian esters balance out the floral notes in the hops so the beer doesn’t smell like a flower shop. Could I perhaps get a balanced aroma profile (but heavy toward floral) in something like a patersbier or other session-ish Belgian?
-Are my hop intuitions accurate, or are there any others that could deliver?

(one more): WLP 500?[/quote]

I would think that the yeast would play at least as big a part. but I agree that I can’t see why it would have to be an alcohol heavy beer. I think you’re on the right track with the hops but I don’t think it’s exclusively die to them. WLP500 might be a good place to start. That’s Chimay yeast which has always reminded me more of bananas and bubblegum, but you’ve got to start somewhere. This is the kind of thing that will likely take multiple trials.

or, I could go ahead and use ANY other yeast because those esters are repulsive to me.

WLP 530?

or, I could go ahead and use ANY other yeast because those esters are repulsive to me.

WLP 530?[/quote]

I’d have to look that one up. I know Wyeast inside out, but I don’t use White.

WLP 530?[/quote]

I’d have to look that one up. I know Wyeast inside out, but I don’t use White.[/quote]

I believe its Achel/Westy, WY equivalent i believe is 3787

[quote=“Pietro”]
I believe its Achel/Westy, WY equivalent i believe is 3787[/quote]

In that case, I think it would be a lot better.