Hunting For Low Alpha Hops

Last spring I had the itch to brew a couple blonde ales laced with Spalt hops. My local HBS had very low alpha Spalt. They were 2%. I was able to do late hop attacks on the brews without spiking the bitterness. I loved it. Nice and spicy in light beer. However, I just used the last of those hops today and need a low alpha Spalt hookup.

Anybody else try to find very low alpha hops to use for huge flavoring additions?
Given todays brewing styles it seems counter intuitive to want LOW alphas. But I think it’s nice to have them handy. Higher alpha Spalt can get a little soapy in the flavor and aroma. The low ones are spicy. Awesome with Belgian yeasts.
:cheers:

Crystal tends to be low-alpha.

styrian goldings!

[quote=“Pollock Pines Finest”]Last spring I had the itch to brew a couple blonde ales laced with Spalt hops. My local HBS had very low alpha Spalt. They were 2%. I was able to do late hop attacks on the brews without spiking the bitterness. I loved it. Nice and spicy in light beer. However, I just used the last of those hops today and need a low alpha Spalt hookup.

Anybody else try to find very low alpha hops to use for huge flavoring additions?
Given todays brewing styles it seems counter intuitive to want LOW alphas. But I think it’s nice to have them handy. Higher alpha Spalt can get a little soapy in the flavor and aroma. The low ones are spicy. Awesome with Belgian yeasts.
:cheers: [/quote]

And I thought the 3.9% spalt I just bought were kind of low.

+way more than one! They’re really nice as a late addition.

There’s a list of US-grown hops, arranged by %AA, on p. 4 here
http://www.usahops.org/userfiles/file/HGA%20BCI%20Reports/HGA%20Variety%20Manual%20-%20English%20(updated%20March%202011).pdf

Serebrianka is like 2.3%
Saaz, striss, goldings…