How to turn a $.69 O-ring into $600.00

My job in life is to provide comic relief.
It all started with a leaky stationary tub faucet. Went to Menards to get a replacement o-ring. $.69. Dan I’m smart, and mechanically gifted.
Replace the o-ring, but there is still a slight drip. H
ll all it needs is an 1/8 of a turn to snug it tight, SNAP. Broke the threaded collar. Thirty year old faucet needs to be replaced, because you just can’t replace the spigot. New fittings are all threaded, cutting, soldering, power tools, and I get to play with fire. I get giddy, the boss( SWMBO) gets paranoid,Boss decides to call a plumber, and while We’re at it the stationary tub is stained after 30 years we might as well replace that too. Man card surrendered.
Tally sheet
O-ring $.69
New Faucet $40.00
Staionary tub $100.00
Town permit $50.00 They will not inspect even though you have to pay.
Plumber $425.00
Tot. cost of an o-ring$615.69

Don’t you feel better at my expense, my job here is done.

I have a $200 mash 5 gallon mash tun :roll:

wow, I’m glad I’m a plumber. :mrgreen:

And you know the basic rules, I’m sure: “Hot on left, cold on the right, s%%t don’t run uphill, and don’t bite your fingernails”. :slight_smile:

And you know the basic rules, I’m sure: “Hot on left, cold on the right, s%%t don’t run uphill, and don’t bite your fingernails”. :slight_smile: [/quote]

you forgot “and payday is friday”.

:lol: I feel your pain. Remember - discretion is the better part of valor; calling a plumber showed good judgement!

:cheers:

[quote=“flytyer”]
Don’t you feel better at my expense, my job here is done.[/quote]

That shit happens to me all the time. My homebrewery—Unlucky Brewing—is named for those frequent joys of home ownership.

If it makes you feel any better, I dropped a bottle and cracked the glass cooktop on my stove. $215.00 oopsie.

I did replace it myself, though. Small consolation.

Shmbo knows how to change the oil on our car. I do not.

Serious man-pride deducted.

[quote=“flytyer”]My job in life is to provide comic relief.
It all started with a leaky stationary tub faucet. Went to Menards to get a replacement o-ring. $.69. Dan I’m smart, and mechanically gifted.
Replace the o-ring, but there is still a slight drip. H
ll all it needs is an 1/8 of a turn to snug it tight, SNAP. Broke the threaded collar. Thirty year old faucet needs to be replaced, because you just can’t replace the spigot. New fittings are all threaded, cutting, soldering, power tools, and I get to play with fire. I get giddy, the boss( SWMBO) gets paranoid,Boss decides to call a plumber, and while We’re at it the stationary tub is stained after 30 years we might as well replace that too. Man card surrendered.
Tally sheet
O-ring $.69
New Faucet $40.00
Staionary tub $100.00
Town permit $50.00 They will not inspect even though you have to pay.
Plumber $425.00
Tot. cost of an o-ring$615.69

Don’t you feel better at my expense, my job here is done.[/quote]

or 140.69 to do it yourself.
Permits you can just skip a lot of the time, Never heard of getting a permit that doesnt come to inspect