How to make a fermenting cooler/mash ton

Has anyone made there own fermenting cooler/mash ton? I can order two 10 gallon kit from NB, but was wanting to know if it was cheaper to do it myself. So maybe show me a picture or a site with directions and so forth.
Thanks

[quote=“themattman”]Has anyone made there own fermenting cooler/mash ton? I can order two 10 gallon kit from NB, but was wanting to know if it was cheaper to do it myself. So maybe show me a picture or a site with directions and so forth.
Thanks[/quote]
Lots of people have. Check out dennybrew.com for info w/pics on the cheap n’ easy cooler mashtun

google is your friend…

One thing I will add, Make sure you go bigger than you ever think you will need. On a side note I recently starting thinking about creating a motorized mash stirring arm and I’m seeing if I had gone with a round tun life would have been much easier.

I bought a 70 quart rectangular cooler ($38 from walmart and $30 brass ball valve & toliet parts from lowes) for my mash tun and a 70 quart cube cooler for fermentation ($45 on amazon) and have been pleased with both. I splurged on the larger 5 day coolers, but it gives me more flexibility (bigger batches and/or beers) and the fermentation cooler only needs 2 bottles of ice to stay at 62 degrees every 12 hours.

I am intrigued by the idea of fermenting in a cooler - can you explain how this works?

More than likely a swamp cooler type of deal…?

[quote=“GarretD”][quote=“Shadetree”]I am intrigued by the idea of fermenting in a cooler - can you explain how this works?[/quote]More than likely a swamp cooler type of deal…?[/quote]Darn, I was hoping someone figured out how to ferment/carbonate in a 10-gal cooler and then dispense from the spigot. :cheers:

Of course you could do it! I’m envisioning a thick foam gasket, a few bar clamps to hold the lid in place, face shield eye protection, hearing protection, a flack vest, and heavy welding gloves. No telling what would come out the spigot after three weeks.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, read: howtobrew.com
John Palmer has posted an excellent (free) intro to brewing there. He has a more up-to-date version available for sale.

Why couldn’t you ferment in a cooler. Use a bungee to hold the cover on , drill a hole in the top for a stopper and blowoff tube. Mount a valve a couple inches from the bottom. Temp control would be problematic but not if your ambient temp was in range.

Why don’t all you guys just use air cond. window unit of course.me I was fortunate enough to get condensing section already separate as being hvac-r service tech. 27 yrs, while replacing said section of walk-in box restaurant & rather than bring to shop where destroyed! Oh no not this time as wanted to create lagering section in basement for some time & knew what required,getting ready to split window unit my own self until this fell into my lap from heaven of course leaving me just needing evap.section( coil/fan) the cold side & inexpensive side.enough about my good fortune here’s what need window unit that works of course,& need to get rid of heat unless winter than its+ Section off area that has window ideally. it will not fit in that would be to easy fear not hang or set on sturdy support buy piece sheet metal big enough to make box to vent out,keeping in mind size of coil outside/hotter one really needs to stay close as possible size ie. no tying into dryer vent or water heat vent or furnace vent as unit will fail.sheet metal for box can change dimension,coil is say 24" width x 16" height outside dim. Can be ANY size comparable 20x20 30x10 cut opening metal screen secure 3/4-7/8 plywood not in use.every scenario diff. Write me happy walk through any & all send pics & dimensions. Hell gut workin refidge. all shelves/drawers did this more than once I help anyone don’t care if hates me for whatever ,I’ll help