Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How to Execute Double Crooked Tree IPA Recipe

I REALLY like Dark Horse’s Double Crooked Tree IPA. I would like to make a batch. According to the brewery, to make Double Crooked Tree, they take their Crooked Tree IPA recipe and doubled all of the ingredients, except the water. I have found a recipe for Crooked Tree. It calls for 13.5 pounds of grain. I understand the doubling concept, but am not sure about the execution.

I do batch sparging (thanks, Denny, for the great article). I usually try to collect 5.5 to 6 gallons of pre-boil wort for a 5 gallon batch, half in the first running and half in the second. Here we are talking about 27 pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch. If I only use 1 quart of water per pound of grain for the mash (a thicker mash than I typically work with), and taking into account my system’s absorption rate of about 1 gallon per 10 pounds of grain, I would end up with with more than 4 gallons of wort after the first running. Is that ok? Do I simply make up the difference in the second running, even if the two running are not equal? Is there a better approach? Is fly sparging better for this kind of recipe?

I would do a longer boil and top off with the extra wort you might end up with. That way you are evaporating off the extra water needed and keeping all the good stuff.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com