How to control boil temp on an elect stove?

My apartment has an electric stove so it is difficult to control the boil temp. Anyone have any tips on how to control the temp on an elect strove :?:

Thanks for your time.

JamesKB

as long as it’s boiling the temperature shouldn’t matter. are you having trouble keeping it boiling?

You can put the lid 50-75% over the top to help keep a constant boil (be sure to leave 10-20% open to the air for boil off).

Or you could make a heat-stick.

But i’d recommend spending some cash on a propane burner. You can get them pretty cheap with a kettle - online or at home depot. They sell them as ‘turkey fryers’. Or you could buy a brewing one for a bit more $

I agree on the propane burner BUT your post states it is an apartment, so you may not have a place to use such a device. If not, then I have had to keep a 50% covered pot as well when I used to use my underpowered electric stove

Our electric had trouble maintaing a rolling boil with our first pot, then we got a nice thick-bottomed pot and the problems went away. The boil is vigorous enough to risk boil over when making additions.

I guess the question is, what is meant by controlling boil temp? Boil temp is what it is, 212F at sea level. Whether you can get there on an electric stove is usually the issue unless you’re making small batches. If things get too vigorous, you turn down the knob.

I was wondering if he is referring to the steeping grains step

If you do mean the steeping grains step, for etract kits you don’t need to keep it at a constant steady temp. I have found if I get it to ~ 165 degrees, then I can turn of the stove and it takes 7-8 min to drop to about 160. Then I just turn it on again and watch and turn it off again if it comes close to 165. I try to keep it in that range with 165 being my max temp.

No need to keep it a consistent temp if that is what you mean.

Thanks to all that replied. You’ve given me some helpful information.

[quote=“JamesKB”]My apartment has an electric stove so it is difficult to control the boil temp. Anyone have any tips on how to control the temp on an elect strove :?:

Thanks for your time.

JamesKB[/quote]
Electric stoves are tough to control. We have had both electric and gas and I would never have an electric range again if I could avoid it. Turn off the gas and the potential boil over stops. With electric you better move the pot because turning it down won’t help for a minute.

I have moved outdoors with big propane burners and as said they are great if you can do it. If not a larger pot might help but on a kitchen range they sometimes get too big unless it can cover two burners. Good luck with it.

Some electric range tips:

Fermcap-S works wonders for boilover prevention

If you are having trouble maintaining a steady boil, cover the pot 1/2 to 2/3 of the way with a lid or aluminum foil.

For steeping grains, I just throw them in when I start heating the water. By the time the water hits 165-170 the steep is done and I pull them out. No need to hold temp or wait any longer at that point.