How to Build a Yeast Ranch

Hey all!
With a rise of “how to reuse my yeast” topics in recent months on just about every brewing board I thought I’d help people who are thinking about it by showing how I built my yeast ranch.

http://bkyeast.wordpress.com/2012/12/17 ... ast-ranch/

Hope some of you find it helpful.
Cheers!

Wow! That looks like an awesome setup. I didn’t have the time to read through all of it but looks great. I tried freezing yeast a while back but just did it in my normal freezer which I think with the auto defrost ended up killing it because when I tried a vial after six months I got nothing out of it. With that in mind I just started doing some slants.

Any reason you went with the petri dishes over slanting? When I was reading up on it I think it seemed slants are supposed to last longer. But it does look like petri dishes might be easier to use.

Instapapered! (too big to read now)

Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Thanks!
Thawing glycerol preserved yeast will kill them unless put into medium and even then a lot die anyway so that’s why you couldn’t grow anything.
I actually store as liquid cultures in test tubes in my fridge rather than slants or plates, though I also have some plates too. Slants are just too small for my liking that’s all :slight_smile:

Looking good.
I just pulled a few of my tubes to be built up and got a few new ones ready to go in.
[attachment=0]Bank-re.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Looking good.
I just pulled a few of my tubes to be built up and got a few new ones ready to go in.
[attachment=0]Bank-re.jpg[/attachment][/quote]
How much stepping up do you guys have to do to get to a pitchable amount?

If starting with only 1 slant tube I do a 250ml step and a 1000ml step to get to approx. 120B cells.

Yup, one step.