How, or what, IPA to choose

I like Yuengling IPA or IPL beer.
I would like to try making an IPA for my next brew.
Looking at NB list of IPAs leaves me dizzy.
Not being good with flavor descriptions, the listings have little meaning.
Not looking for over the top hop flavor, or weak unimpressive taste, as some reviews call out.
Any suggestions for something that is “normal” IPA?
Thanks

A fav of mine is “Two hearted” IPA… gots some horse power… Nice, simple compliment of Centennial hops…
Grab a 6-pack and see…
Sneezles61
EDIT: Are we the only ones in here right now? :wink:

…I’m here, your honor, and I’m not a cat…(one of the true gifts from the ill fated year 2020).

I second the Two Hearted rec. NB’s version is very good.

4 Likes

Is Dead Ringer the same as Two Hearted. I see no Two Hearted listed in NB.

2 Likes

Correct. They had to change the name after initial marketing due to copyright( I think, and they’ve followed suit with similar sounding names ever since.)

1 Like

Dead Ringer gets some high reviews. I may try tat next.
Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Dead Ringer is a good one, I’ve done it a few times. I currently have Plinian Legacy and Off the Topper in fermenters, do them side by side every summer, both fantastic. Also have Hazy Eights and Fruit Bazooka ingredients for next two brew days. I do all IPA’s all summer, before swapping out to more of a variety of styles in the fall/winter/spring.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

You do buy kits from nb. Or you can start creating your own ipa recipy death ringer karma citra. Perma frost. Are nice to brew. And taste good

If you can find it, try a Bells Two Hearted Ale first. The Dead ringer should be close so you will know ahead of time what your brew will taste like. It’s an all Centennial hops IPA so if you like Centennial you will like it.

[quote=“voodoo_donut, post:3, topic:29972, full:true”]
…I’m here, your honor, and I’m not a cat…(one of the true gifts from the ill fated year 2020).[/quote]

You’re not a kidding…. Anyone Who wants to check it out click here

When I made mine first IPA I looked at the NB list. I looked at the favorites and went from there. I knew I did not want anything over the top, but I did want flavor. I read the description of the beer how it tasted. I did trust the description and how it tasted.

Well, I just had to buy a 6-er of Bells Two Hearted… I like the old school hops… The grapefruit… perhaps a bit pine-y in the background… To me… Fantastic stuff… Might be a good night for a recreational fire and a couple of them!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Ive never found the bottled 2h anything like on tap

1 Like

Bottle is still good… Tap… sometimes its really good, like when you get some hop trub in yer glass… I wonder if some of the other times, its been on tap too long… :confused:
Sneezles61

Dead Ringer is great. I don’t make kit beers very often, but when I do, Dead Ringer is just about the best kit recipe that exists.

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys.
I have a 6 pak of bells in the fridge and will try one tonight.
Most likely will pick up a NB dead ringer for my next brew.

1 Like

Update:
Tried the Bells’ Two Heart. I’m sure it is a quality beer and good example of IPA, but was too bitter for me. Years ago I remember liking Yuengling IPL, but they dropped the line.
This was good that I got to taste this style before making a batch.
I also picked up Gaffel Kolsch from Cologne. I have a Kolsch batch in the fermenter right now.
The Gaffel was very clear and fresh and a nice drink. I still like my first brew, cream ale, the best.
With the disappointment on the IPA, I’m not sure what the next brew will be.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with not liking IPA styles. If you like the cream ale do it again using different hops. Or try a Blonde or or Pale Ale or even an ESB which despite the name is more Malty than bitter.

1 Like

There are many choices… asking us to pick one fer you is not in yer best interest… Try a Heffewiessen yet?..
Sneezles61

What kind of IPA do you like (not Yuengling IPL as many, including myself, have ever tried it). How about a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale?