How Much Grain - 10 Gallon Rubbermaid

Hello, I’ve got the standard Rubbermaid 10 gallon mash tun sold via NB. How much grain can this thing hold? I’m thinking of doing a 10 gallon batch of Dead Ringer which would clock in at 24lbs of grain.

Is it possible?

Depends on your water/grain ratio, but you’ll be OK, barely.

Here’s a link you can use in the future:

Thanks, I figured I’d have to keep it pretty thick.

1.25qt/lb, and you’ll have first runnings of 0.75qt/lb or 18qt (4.5gal). You’ll probably want to sparge twice with 3.5gal so you wind up with 11.5gal in the pot and 10.5 after boiling.

Are you using a false bottom or stainless braid/bazooka screen in your MLT? Note that the space under a false bottom is dead space and would need to be subtracted from the overall capacity of the cooler. If using a braid/bazooka screen, you have virtually no dead space.

I’ve mashed 25lbs in my 10 gal. Igloo for a Barley Wine. Careful though, efficiency drops a little with the big mashes.

Why? The liquid would fit under there, just not the grain. So its not completely dead.

Why? The liquid would fit under there, just not the grain. So its not completely dead.[/quote]

I think kcbeersnob is suggesting that this “dead space” is wort that won’t end up in the kettle. You practically can’t drain below the valve so this dead space wort can’t be included in the volume needed for the boil.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]
Why? The liquid would fit under there, just not the grain. So its not completely dead.[/quote]
Right, but that liquid should be excluded from the water:grist ratio calculations. Either way, the OP is going to deal with a very thick mash.

I did 28 lbs once; but prefer 26 lbs as my max. You can do 24 easily.