Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How many rhyzomes per rope?

Hey all,

About to grow hops (cascade) for the first time. I rent, so space is limited. Landlord says one planter and one bine is ok. Since the min order is two rhyzomes, can I plant both and have them climb the same rope? Or would that stress the plant too much?

Thanks for any advise!

Each rhizome will produce multiple bines. Ideally you would have a V of rope off each rhizome that would have 2 bines climbing each side of the V (4 bines per rhizome). Does your landlord like beer? Does he live there? Tell him to deal with it and grow as many as you can. I have heard of others with PIA landlords training theirs horizontally instead of up.

If your landlord is only good with one bine being planted, I would just plant one bine. Rhizomes are cheap… if you have to order two, then give the other to someone else or throw it away.

[quote=“Jonny”]Hey all,
Landlord says one planter and one bine is ok. Since the min order is two rhyzomes, can I plant both and have them climb the same rope? Or would that stress the plant too much?

Thanks for any advise![/quote]

hey,

Landlords typically don’t know what a bine is.
That said, all your growth from both rhizomes can go up one rope, especially in the first year.

Just don’t tell the landlord that in a few years,
a Cascade monster will rule that planter. :twisted:

Have fun.

did the landlord say how big this one planter can be?

hey,

Landlords typically don’t know what a bine is.
That said, all your growth from both rhizomes can go up one rope, especially in the first year.

[/quote]

I really like that train of thought!!

IMO, you’d be better off planting the two together.
Each one of my hills has 4-5 rhizomes per. A couple of hills have 6 because I was running out of room to plant and had too many rhizomes. I use one piece of twine and it fills out nice.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com