Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How low have you had success with us-05 and/or s-04?

Here is what I am getting at.

I have an oktoberfest a week in at 53F. And I wanted to get another beer going. Why not do another lager you say? Well I only have room for one lager at a time. But I want to get another beer going.

Has anyone had any look with either us-05 or s-04 in the high mid to high 50’s?

I was thinking of letting the oktoberfest come up and try to sneak an ale in my chest freezer. Is this a really bad idea, where I will just end up screwing up two beers?

Thanks for all info.

US05 can definitely handle mid-fifties without a problem. The few times I’ve used 04, it seems to crap out on me at anything under 64*.

I’ve used US-05 at 55° ambient with no problem.

Thanks guys. I may just try to sneak an ale in at the same time.

Are you guys still pitching 1 pack of US-05 for beers up to 1.060? Or since you ferment it cooler do you pitch 2 packs? I’ve been amazed to read on here that you don’t need to aerate your wort when using US-05…

I recently tried this out due to sheer laziness. It was 2am when the wort finally got to pitching temp in the fridge and I really didnt feel like sanitizing, aerating, and cleaning up the aquarium pump setup, so I just straight pitched some US-05 in to my amber. Haven’t checked to see if it has finished yet, but will be soon.

[quote=“Beersk”]I’ve been amazed to read on here that you don’t need to aerate your wort when using US-05…[/quote]IME, oxygenating the wort has no effect on the FG, but it does kick the yeast into gear much faster, so it would probably be helpful when pitching into colder wort.

US 05 can handle the mid fifties - in fact I prefer it that way, when possible.

I think it is always best to aerate wort, but it is interesting to hear arguments and successes to the contrary.

From Danstar regarding dry yeast:

No, there is no need to aerate the wort but it does not harm the yeast either. During its aerobic production, dry yeast accumulates sufficient amounts of unsaturated fatty acids and sterols to produce enough biomass in the first stage of fermentation. The only reason to aerate the wort when using wet yeast is to provide the yeast with oxygen so that it can produce sterols and unsaturated fatty acids which are important parts of the cell membrane and therefore essential for biomass production.

If the slurry from dry yeast fermentation is re-pitched from one batch of beer to another, the wort has to be aerated as with any liquid yeast.

I’ve had success with both US-05 and S-04 around 59-60.

That’s about where I have been getting on the low side. Never really try to drop it to much bellow.

But it looks like if nothing else, I should try it. I can always let it raise it doesn’t take off.

Hell I just want to brew.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com