How long will grain last

I bought enough grain for my next 2 batches and things did not go as planned. I been having the grain in bags for about 2 weeks. How long will it last or what should i do with it to make it last longer.?

Double-bag it in freezer bags, four pounds per gallon bag, and put it in the fridge if you can (not the freezer). Keep it somewhere cool and dry otherwise. Will last for a long time, years, like this unless it’s milled, then you should use it within a month or two.

I’d never recommend storing in a fridge since it is humid. Its like bread, you can store it in the freezer but not the fridge. I store it for 6-9 months in a cool dry place in a storage tote in its original plastic lined bag and have never seen it get stale.

My best advice is to brew often enough that you don’t let your grain go bad at room temp! Get a sack of 2-row and use that for a variety of brews.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I’d never recommend storing in a fridge since it is humid. Its like bread, you can store it in the freezer but not the fridge.[/quote]Is your freezer frost-free? I store bread in the fridge, not the freezer, to avoid freezer burn (caused by the defrost cycle) and the fridge part is very low humidity. The double-bagging should protect against humidity, too.

Keep it cool and dry as best you can, but the best solution if it is already crushed is to make every effort to brew with it as soon as possible. Fresh ingredients can make awesome beer, the fresher the better.

Thanks , I been keeping it in ziploc bags and the bags in a sealed bucket.Im gonna use it this weekend if all goes well. My kegs are empty so i need to do something fast!

Cool and dry should give you at least 6 months. Remember that grain is only harvested once per year, and I’ve never come across ”stale” grain.