6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 31.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.8 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5 2.6 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.3 %
4.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 7 1.3 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.3 %
1 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14 5.2 %
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 17 5.2 % (Into fermenter)

0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 9 21.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 19.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 16.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 12 11.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 13 11.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 15 14.8 IBUs

1.0 pkg American Ale II Yeastcake

2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.091 SG Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.0 %
Bitterness: 95.0 IBUs Calories: 0.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 14.1 SRM

^I’ve got it in the secondary right now but am wondering how long to leave it there before kegging and drinking. I also might bottle age a few but haven’t really decided.

I know with higher gravity beers like an Imperial Stout or Barrleywine you should wait quite a while but do I want to drink a IIPA sooner so the hop flavor doesn’t fade?

This is my first really high ABV and IBU beer so any input would be nice. I found the recipe online and there was no aging suggestions.

In my experience, IIPA’s tend to be a little tricky. Hops (aroma most of all) tend to fade with time. At the same time, malts and alcohol mellow out with time. I’d say that IIPA’s drink best at 1-3 months after brewing, before the hops fade too much and after the alcohol and malt smooth out.

Right now I’m experimenting with a big IIPA. I’m holding off on the dry hop addition until about two months after brew day. I’m letting it age in secondary, not on the yeast. I’m hoping to let the beer age a bit and then reinvigorate it with a fresh dry hop. I’m keeping my figures crossed that it comes out fantastic.

Good luck!

I did NB’s double IPA brewed 1/8, kegged 1/29, drinking around 2/5. The alcohol is still a bit prominent but the malts and hoppiness are so good, I couldn’t care less about the alcohol (which is 9% BTW) :slight_smile:

I would get that on tap or in the bottle as soon as possible. After the first month you will notice a decrease in hop flavor and aroma, after two its mostly down hill. Not that it is bad but it will become considerably sweeter has the balance gets thrown off.

Yeah, originally I was thinking three to four months but the more I thought about it the more I think it should be drank much sooner. Plus I already did the dry hopping which may have been a good idea to wait a while. Anyways, I might keg it when one opens up which should put it at about 1.5-2 months old and then bottle a few just to let the sit and see how they turn out.

Thanks for the input everyone.

[quote=“cam0083”] Anyways, I might keg it when one opens up which should put it at about 1.5-2 months old and then bottle a few just to let the sit and see how they turn out.[/quote]If you keg it, be sure to keg-hop it.

With a grain bill like that, you could age some, then call it an american barleywine after a year and beyond

I’ve never keg hopped before. Do you use a mesh bag of some kind to keep them from running up the tube?

when I’ve done it (only twice) I used a sanitized muslin bag that i tied to the liquid dip tube so it stays off the bottom