Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How long is too long to dry hop

I’ve read that some say not to dry hop too long or you will get grassy flavors. How long is too long to dry hop? I’ve read ranges from 3 days to 10. As always, thanks very much for the great info.

I typically DH for 7-10 days, but I have gone as long as two weeks and been fine.

It might make a difference for pellets vs whole hops. I get grassy flavors from whole hops after just a few days so I use only pellets now. I dry hop in secondary for 2 weeks and then keg hop until the kegs are gone. I don’t find any adverse effects with 1-2 months in kegs w dry hops.

I typically dry hop my IPAs for two weeks with pellet hops. Have only dry hopped once with whole hops, and left them in for two weeks as well, and noticed no “off flavors”.

Up to 10 days for me at room temp with pellets in a nylon stocking. Then the keg goes into the kegerator with the hops. The cold pretty much stops the off flavors you would get if it were left at room temp. Cheers!!!

I just started kegging. Anything wrong with dryhopping cold?

Nope, not at all.

It just takes a lot longer.

Any theories as to whether dryhopping for longer than 7-14 days is too long and you might start to lose some of the fresh aroma that you just put in there?

If I dry hop in secondary, I go 1-2 weeks. If in the keg, it stays in until the keg is empty, which is typically several months. I’ve never experienced grassiness from either technique.

+1, and I only use whole hops.

+1, and I only use whole hops.[/quote]

+1 X 2. Hop On!!

+1, and I only use whole hops.[/quote]

I use whole for dry hopping 90+% of the time.

IME grassy flavors come from dry hopping at cold temps rather than for a period of time.

I dry hop at cold temps and don’t get grassiness…go figure.

14 years would probably be too long. :shock:

Dry-hopping, or not drinking your beer? :wink:

Dry-hopping, or not drinking your beer? :wink: [/quote]
yes.

Dry-hopping, or not drinking your beer? :wink: [/quote]
yes.[/quote]

maybe

I dry hop at cold temps and don’t get grassiness…go figure.[/quote]

Denny, How quickly do you tap the beer after adding the hops? I find that it dissipates after 5-12 days (depending on temp). I’ve spoken to commercial brewers that find the same thing.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com