How long for yeast action?

I completed my first batch today. American Wheat Beer Extract Kit. Even though my yeast starter looked cloudy and not separated, the rest of the process looked fine. Took notes and learned what to do different tomorrow( 2 batches B2B). When should I see yeast activity in the primary carboy? I’m just feeling a little nervous.

Brent

24-48 hours.

I usually notice my brews bubbling away after about 12-24 hours.

Most likely this. Depends on a lot of factors. I’ve seen extremes a little as 6 hours and as long as 72 hours before fermentation takes off.

For me I noticed if you ferment at the lower temp range for the yeast it’s closer to 48 hours and if you ferment towards the warmer end off the range it’s closer to 24 hours.

My rule of thumb: If it doesn’t take off in 36 hours, add more yeast.

I think I got lucky with my last brew. I read that WLP300 can take a while. I made a nice starter with my stir plate and everything. I pitched at about 5:00 PM. I sat down, had a home brew, watched some TV, then passed out on the couch (such a rough day, lol).

I woke up at like 2:30 AM and was wondering if it started yet. Sure enough, some slight bubbles coming through the airlock. By noon or so the next day it was off.

That said, I’ve also had them go very fast. My fastest was 6 hours or so. My slowest was about 24.

Sure enough, got up this morning and it is bubbling at 69 degrees. I would like for the temp to drop another couple of degrees.

The temp won’t really drop on it’s own until it’s done. Do you have any way to cool it down? Swamp cooler method or put it somewhere cooler? As fermentation picks up, the temp will rise quite a bit before it goes back down.

The temp won’t really drop on it’s own until it’s done. Do you have any way to cool it down? Swamp cooler method or put it somewhere cooler? As fermentation picks up, the temp will rise quite a bit before it goes back down.[/quote]
I put it in the garage for a bit. I will check it hourly. Thanks for the heads up.

Brent