How Long for Lager to Carb Up?

Bottled an Oktoberfest over 3 weeks ago.

The sample I had this past weekend was relatively flat. There was a nice hiss-pop when I cracked the bottle, but virtually no head and none of the “carb bubbles” you typically see dancing around in the beer.

Brewed in May. Moved to secondary and lagered starting early June. Bottled over Labor Day weekend. Did not add any extra yeast as I’ve read mixed reviews on if that is actually necessary for a lager.

You keeping it warm? its not goign to carb at lagering temps. I put mine at room temp for a week to get it carbonated.

I always found lager yeasts to carb slower than ales at any temperature.

At what temperature did you “Lager” the beer? If it was too cold it could be the reason.

It’s at cellar temps. About 65 in my basement storage room.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]I always found lager yeasts to carb slower than ales at any temperature.

At what temperature did you “Lager” the beer? If it was too cold it could be the reason.[/quote]

Lagered at 35 I believe.

It’s at cellar temps. About 65 in my basement storage room.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]I always found lager yeasts to carb slower than ales at any temperature.

At what temperature did you “Lager” the beer? If it was too cold it could be the reason.[/quote]

Lagered at 35 I believe.[/quote]

That is pretty darn cold. I know it is Lager yeast and all, but I’m not sure your beer will carb after that without adding new yeast.

Not possitive, but that is mt guess.

Thats a normal lagering temp, and short of freezing I don’t think yeast will be killed.

Warm it up to 75 F and hope for the best. You lagered a long time and should have added more yeast but maybe it will carbonate okay at warmer temps.

I bottled a Dunkel at 8 weeks and they were all carbed within 2-3 weeks.

Agreed. That’s a long time to lager without adding yeast. I think you’re good up to maybe 8 weeks, but much after that, you should add yeast, I think. There may not have been enough left in suspension after 4 months lagering at 35F. But give it time, it may just take a bit longer than usual.

It will probably get there eventually, just warm it up and be patient. For the future, you can reyeast at bottling with basically any yeast you have lying around, even ale yeast. Probably a good idea after a long lager.

I’ve read that a half packet of yeast into 5 gallons should do the trick - is that right?

I think you can get away with just 1/4 packet for 5 gallons. A little dab’ll do ya.

I’m not sure how you would add it back to the bottles, in terms of measuring it out per bottle, though. I would hate to pour each bottle back into a bottling bucket at this point. I’d be inclined to warm them up for a week or so rather than re-yeasting. Save that for a last ditch effort…
Someone may have a practical way to do it, though???

If there is some activity causing a bit of pressure, eventually the yeast should get the job done. But it might take a month or more. I’d take a couple bottles and keep at 70 or so for a week, then check how they are.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]I’m not sure how you would add it back to the bottles, in terms of measuring it out per bottle, though. I would hate to pour each bottle back into a bottling bucket at this point. I’d be inclined to warm them up for a week or so rather than re-yeasting. Save that for a last ditch effort…
Someone may have a practical way to do it, though???[/quote]

Actually, if you just scooped the smallest amount you can reasonably manage into each bottle, you don’t really need to worry about measuring it. Too little yeast will just take a little longer, and too much might leave some extra sediment, but either way it won’t mess up the carbonation, the yeast can only eat the sugar that’s there.

Still, it would be a pain in the butt, I would try the wait and see method first.

Oh, and I used to eyeball a half packet for bulk reyeasting, but that’s probably more than you really need. These days I keg, which is the ultimate solution to this problem. :slight_smile:

I cracked another today. Little more carbed than the one from last week. I moved half a dozen bottles upstairs where it is warmer to see what happens.

I also need to let the beer sit in the fridge for more than a day so the co2 can fully absorb back into the beer. I just want to drink it so bad!