How long do you dry hop for?

I just kegged my IPA and I’ll be dry hopping at serving temp (in the keg) with 1 oz of cascades and 1 oz of amarillo. I think 4 days should do the trick but was wondering what others would do.

Usually dry hop warm 70F-75F. Sometimes in the keg sometimes in the primary. Never leave it longer than 4 days. :cheers:

I always dry hop in a keg and never less than 3 days. Often what I’ll do is a week at cellar temps and then move it into the serving fridge. Where it sits for several weeks.

I typically dry hop in the primary after fermentation is done. Gone as long as 2.5 weeks and as short as 2 days. Also dry hop in the keg, depending on hop variety. IMO, some hops tend to make the beer taste grassy if left in too long. A great trick is to suspend the hop bag with plumbers tape so that it hangs only half way down. This allows the beer to be in contact with the hops for half of the kegs life.

I’ve been dry hopping in the keg. Bagged hops stay in until the keg is finished. Lately I’ve convinced myself I’m not getting as much aroma this way. I’ll be DHing the next 5 gals of my c squared IPA in the bucket primary for 5 days prior to kegging it as a test.

I dry hop in the serving keg and the hops stay in til the keg is gone, 1-2 months.

I usually throw the dry hops right in the primary about 5-7 days before I bottle.

I’m noticing that no one is mentioning issues with dry hopping at serving temps which for me is 40 degrees.

I’ve dry hopped this way in the past and never noticed any unusual flavors. My technique is simple. I boil a length of string, a mesh bag and a SS weight and suspend the hops about half way down like someone else has mentioned, but I’ve always removed the hops after a lenght of time. I was going to go 4 days this time around but I think I’ll just leave them in there until the keg is empty. This could be just 4 days because this IPA is delicious! :cheers:

I’ve said it a million times, so I guess this makes a million and one…there is no advantage to weighting a dry hop bag. At least not that I’ve found in comparisons.

Yeah but it makes me feel good.

Yeah but it makes me feel good.[/quote]

Not expending unnecessary effort makes ME feel good!

Same here. The only time I’ve had a problem is when I over filled a keg. The bag got sucked up in the PRV and it was stuck open.

I’ve had more issues with it sitting on the bottom and blocking the diptube.

Same here. The only time I’ve had a problem is when I over filled a keg. The bag got sucked up in the PRV and it was stuck open.

I’ve had more issues with it sitting on the bottom and blocking the diptube.[/quote]

I tie it to the top of the dip tube so it hangs about 1/2 way into the keg.

2 weeks always and then keg hopping when appropriate.

I use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progres … +mesh+ball it takes a couple with leaf hops but will not get sucked into the dip tube. I also just leave the hops in until the keg is finished.

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hop ... p_155.html

I love this thing for keg hopping, the small one will hold 3-4 ounces of pellet hops pretty well.

Why pay $40 when you can use a hop sack that costs a few bucks?

[quote=“holaday1185”]Why pay $40 when you can use a hop sack that costs a few bucks?[/quote]Yeah, that $40 price tag shocks me.

Way easier to clean.

Maybe. Used hop sacks get emptied and then set in a container with hot water and oxyclean. 12 hrs later it’s clean.