How long do crushed grains last?

Crushed up some pils malt about 2 weeks ago for a beer, realized I had about 2lbs too much, so was going to do a small stovetop BIAB, mainly to grow up yeast. Also has about 4oz of carared in there.

Whats the longest anyone has gone from crush to mash? The grain has been in a garage at anywhere from 20* to 30*. If the mice haven’t gotten to it, I’d like to brew with it…

[quote=“Pietro”]Crushed up some pils malt about 2 weeks ago for a beer, realized I had about 2lbs too much, so was going to do a small stovetop BIAB, mainly to grow up yeast. Also has about 4oz of carared in there.

Whats the longest anyone has gone from crush to mash? The grain has been in a garage at anywhere from 20* to 30*. If the mice haven’t gotten to it, I’d like to brew with it…[/quote]
I just brewed a PM kit that came with pre-milled grain. I ordered the kit right before Halloween, and who knows how long before that they made the kit.

I had a batch of pils malt crushed and ready to go when I had a heart attack. It was 3 months before I got to use it and it still made great beer. It was stored in a paper bag in a cool, dry, dark closet.

It takes a heart attack to keep you from brewing? :wink:

Thankfully you pulled through. :cheers: