How is no one sick of Caribou Slobber!?

:lol: I think that every single one of my friends has brewed this as their first batch. And I see it posted as every newbies first run, too. I get it. It’s simple with enough complexity to hide some marginal screw-ups, and it’s got a little flavor, but c’mon!

I’ve had Moose Drool a few times, while it’s not bad I haven’t had any desire to clone it. It’s kind of a gateway beer so I suspect that’s why it’s popular with new brewers.

people just want the first batch to be successful with easy to brew and decent tasteing so they will want to brew again.

I picked it because of the 3 listed in the starter kits I looked at, it sounded like I would like it the best. Don’t know squat about making any beer. Well, I know more than I did last week at this time, lol.

Moose drool is not a great beer. In fact, when I picked up my starter kit, I asked if I could swap for a different recipe kit. They happily let me, which was fantastic.

It seems to be a “gateway beer”. It will get you started & keep you coming back.

Personally I have not brewed a true kit beer yet. Between “Brewing Classic Styles” and playing around with my own recipes I am able to build my own “kits” at my LHBS for $10-$15 cheaper than buying an all in one kit. I am not against them by any means. In fact I will ask for them for birthday & holiday gifts in the future. I just enjoy getting all my own stuff individually.

Thought about brewing it so I tried Moose Drool - no likey, so I didn’t brew slobber.

It’s also one of the highest / most rated kits NB has. Snowball effect

I have not tried the kit, but I am sure going to have some of the real stuff tonight from the Big Sky folks at a local brew fest.

CS was my 7th or 8th batch in my 1st year of brewing life. It’s an easy brew, results in a consistent product, easy drinking, flavorful, and… you can tweak it and add all kinds of additions to make it your own. I definitely can see the source of it’s popularity. Moose Drool doesn’t seem to available in my neck of the woods,so I can’t compare. But Caribou Slobber is a winner in my book.

[quote=“isots”]I have not tried the kit, but I am sure going to have some of the real stuff tonight from the Big Sky folks at a local brew fest.[/quote]I’m sure the kit is good, I’m just not that big of a fan of Brown Ales. Maybe I just haven’t had the right one yet.

Thought about brewing it so I tried Moose Drool - no likey, so I didn’t brew slobber.[/quote]

I had it and Smithwick’s when I 1st started drinking craft beer. Now, it’s just not a style I’m a fan of. If it’s the only craft beer available, I’ll search out a Grain Belt or the like. :oops:

I have Caribou Slobber on hand every day of the year. I brew it because I love it. That is what home brewing is about.

Fermentor #1 Caribou Slobber
#2 Speckled Heifer
#3 American Amber Ale
#4 Dry Irish Stout
In the bottle;
Caribou Slobber
Dry Irish Stout
Irish Red Ale
American Amber Ale
Speckled Heifer
Big Honkin Stout
Belgian Tripel

Thought about brewing it so I tried Moose Drool - no likey, so I didn’t brew slobber.[/quote]

The NB Caribou Slobber kit is better than Moose Drool. Surpisingly, I like the extract version of CS better than the all grain.