How hoppy is too hoppy?

I am a fan of big IPA’s like DFH 120 Minute and Stone Ruination. When I brew IPAs, I usually have a vague idea what I plan on doing (such as hop types and grain bill) but no recipe pre-determined. I usually start throwing in hops as I go along and then write it down later. I recently brewed up a big Double IPA (approx 10% ABV and 140 IBU), and it wasn’t until after the boil that I realized I had an extremely hoppy beer. This brings me to my question of: Is there a point in which a beer can be too hoppy?

if your not following style guide lines its what tastes good to you. there is a AA range for all styles but I sometimes break out of the style parameters and brew what I like, after all thats what home brewing is all about, having the freedom to create your own beers.

edit: welcome to the NB board.

Too hoppy? Blasphemer! :lol:

There is a point when the wort will become saturated & will no longer become ‘hoppier’ no matter how many hops you throw in there. If you’re calculating 140 IBU’s, you’re probably getting close to that line. The only downsides are the extra cost of the wasted hops & the potential for your beer to start to taste vegetal/grassy.

If you’re brewing for style or competition you should pay attention to the guidelines. If you’re brewing to keep your kegerator full… brew whatever you want to brew. Cost usually isn’t a big issue on our size systems.

Whether or not it’s “too hoppy” is up the the brewer’s tastes.

Best answer, as usual Denny.

Best answer, as usual Denny.[/quote]

Al, sometimes it’s so obvious I wonder why others don’t think of it! :wink:

I don’t understand this term “too hoppy” :lol:

Keep in mind that the perceived hoppiness is affected by the amount of malt in the beer too. Example: I recently tried a sampler pack from Tallgrass Brewing Co. One of the beers was a little too hoppy for me to really enjoy and another one I thought was great. Turns out the one I thought too hoppy has 40 IBUs and the one I enjoyed has 93.

Disclaimer: I haven’t been a fan of hoppy beers, but am trying to gain an appreciation.

[quote=“Brick1083”]
Disclaimer: I haven’t been a fan of hoppy beers, but am trying to gain an appreciation.[/quote]

Be careful with that. I did the same and now so many amber beers I used to love seem way too malty.

It goes both ways. I spent this summer making a conscious effort to work on appreciating maltier styles, and now a lot of old familiar beers seem way too hoppy to me.

I will add to some of the wise words that have already been said, that I think it also depends on the flavor profile contributed by the specific hops used. If you don’t like pine, a 60 IBU IPA brewed with a lot of late edition Simcoe may be less enjoyable than a 100 IBU beer brewed with hops that don’t contribute the flavor you don’t like.

“Hoppy” is easy.
Balance can be utter magic.
Balance is art.
YMMV.
:cheers:

“Hoppy” is easy.
Balance can be utter magic.
Balance is art.
YMMV.
:cheers: [/quote]
Sure, hoppy IS easy. I don’t hold that against a girl, why would I hold it against a beer?

Me either. :?

This is actually a 2-part question. The first part is bitterness, and there’s a lot more to that than IBU’s. Choice of bittering hop, how much sulfate, timing of hop additions, etc. all affect the perception of bitterness in the finished beer. The answer to this, as stated before, comes down to balance and what you like.

The second part is hop flavor and aroma, and while this is still a matter of tastes, for me - with certain styles all bets are off. My goal is to try to stuff as much hops flavor and aroma in those beers as possible without getting rough or harsh flavors.