How hard are hops to kill?

So I was growing Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, and Chinook, all on automatic watering systems out at the edge of my property.

We had our house painted and they disconnected the water for the pressure washer, and I didn’t notice it for a week in that ridiculously hot summer we had. When I did, the hop bines were all brown and dried up.

The Columbus and Chinook were in their first year, so I’m checking them off dead, but the Cascade and Chinook were in their second year, and I’ve heard they are really hard to kill…

So, anyone want to make some bets on whether or not these hardy plants come back in the spring? :slight_smile:

Hard to say. Do you live in the South, and/or was the weather extremely hot and dry, with the earth sort of hard baked clay or dusty? Then the hops might have died. If you were in reasonable conditions like we have in Wisconsin, then the hops could very well have survived and could pop back up next spring. It depends on the weather conditions. Hops can handle some pretty rough treatment, but if they got baked to a crisp in the hot sun for a long time then I’m not so sure. How did your lawn or other plants nearby handle the weather? Hops are at least as tough as grass or crabgrass or whatever.

Southern Tennessee. I figure they are baked to death, as I didn’t bother to water the dried remains. But you never know. Rhizomes are cheap enough to try again.

The grass went dry and brown, but came back in the fall, so who knows. Thanks for your comments!

Were the hops in the ground or pots? Like you said, they’re cheap to buy but you might be surprised on their return next spring.

In the ground. I’m giving them a 30/70 with the 70 percent being fried. My only hope is that there are some roots down deep that stayed wet, but not enough to sustain the above ground plant, and that next year may see some new growth!
Thanks for your comments!