How does NB determine conditioning time?

I’m curious how the fermentation and conditioning schedule is determined for NB kits?

For example, the Barleywine has:
11 lbs LME
1/2 lb caramel 90 specialty grain
3 oz kettle hops
OG = 1.082

This beer is slated to be ready in 6 months

By comparison, the Imperial Red has:
12 lbs LME
1.5 lbs sugar
1.5 lbs of specialty grain (Crystal 40, English Crystal, Darl Crystal, and Special B)
6 oz of kettle hops
OG = 1.090

This beer is slated to be ready in 6 weeks.

Now I know that it’s best to take the instructions with a grain of salt, but of those two recipes, the latter seems to be the more complex and would benefit from a much longer conditioning time then the former.

Taste is subjective. Drink it when it tastes good. If the alcohol tastes harsh and the flavors don’t seem to meld as well as you’d like, give it more time. I’ve made strong ales that were ready in a month. I’ve also made strong ales that didn’t taste really awesome until more than 2 years later. It’s subjective. Drink it when it tastes good to YOU, regardless of whatever guidance is put out there.

:cheers:

NB is a little optimistic with their time estimates. My NB barleywine really started to blossom at the 18 month mark. Even better at the ~2 year mark. It was quite harsh at 6 months to a year. I honestly think it could drive away sales if they said a barleywine takes ~2 years or so. Ya see plenty of guys saying that it was great beer at 3 weeks. :shock:

s2y I totally agree. First how many new brewers would stick with brewing if they said you had to wait 3 months for an “average” beer and 2 years for a RIS or BW?

funny thing is that when I tell people I brewed today they asked if I drank any of it…

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]s2y I totally agree. First how many new brewers would stick with brewing if they said you had to wait 3 months for an “average” beer and 2 years for a RIS or BW?

funny thing is that when I tell people I brewed today they asked if I drank any of it…[/quote]

Agreed. People always ask me how many of mine blow up. Homebrewing seems to be something that people try once or twice and it’s often a Mr. Beer.

People think I’m nuts making beers that will need to condition at least a year or two. Even some brewers think I’m nuts for wanting to make a barley wine or two per year.