Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How do YOU scale recipes to account for efficiency?

There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion out there. I can’t think of a way where the taste will stay true, except to actually lower/raise your mash efficiency to match that of the recipe…
Example: If my mash efficiency is 85% and the recipe I’m looking was built at 70%, I can either lower both my base malt and specialty malt amounts to hit the desired OG, which will throw off color and potentially taste in the same size batch, or I can lower only my base malts and keep specialty grains where they are to keep color relatively static, but will raise my specialty grain bill percent, potentially throwing off the taste as well. The latter is the method recommended in Brewing Classic Styles, but it still seems off to me…
So what do you do?

I do a little of both, but mostly scale all the ingredients. It’s easier to adjust only the base malt, and should work fine in most cases… but usually I adjust all the malts to maintain the same percentages, as I don’t want to throw anything off balance. I think maintaining all the percentages and scaling everything is most accurate.

I just scale the base malt based upon brew house efficiency. Then when I read my OG, I type in a different vlaue into Excel until the OG predicted matched the OG measured.

I usually scale everything and not worry about it too much, as I figure I’m going for something similar to what is described, not exactly the same thing. Every brewer’s set and process is different, and I figure that even if my efficiency matches what the recipe is written for, it is unlikely I’ll end up with EXACTLY the same beer.

I scale everything to keep the % of grains the same in relation to each other.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com