Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

How Do You Rack to Avoid Sediment?

I have a Fermentech Auto Siphon 1/2" racking cane that I use to transfer fermented beer from the carboy to keg. The problem is that I usally end up sucking yeast/trub off the bottom during the transfer if not uber-careful.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/auto-siphon-1-2.html

The racking cane does have a small foot to keep it off the absolute bottom but an inch of sediment, it is ineffective. Are there any DIY mods for this thing?

What do you do or use to keep from sucking up some of the sediment?

I use the Autosiphon too but I keep it up off the bottom until the beer gets real close to the end. Tip the carboy slowly near the end and you can get all but a few ounce with no trub.

I use the tip.

I start the siphon midway down the fermenter. Once it starts I push it down to the bottom, it gives one puff of sediment and then it’s clear sailing from that point.

I just let the syphon sit on the bottom of the fermenter and do not move it. It does suck up the little bit of crap right around the tube, but after that it does not disturb the rest of the yeast cake. Sure beats trying to hold the tube just above the trub surface for the 10 minute transfer. For the last few quarts you’ll get a higher % of trub that gets disturbed by the relatively close surface flow, so tipping the vessel and making the liquid column deeper at the very end can help get the last few drops if done carefully. I typically leave a pint to a quart of liquid behind, depending on the looseness of the yeast cake.

Put a little block of wood under one edge of the carboy a bit before racking, start the siphon towards the top of the carboy to not suck up anything and then eventually lower it to the yeast cake and whatever you used to prop it up will allow you to suck up almost everything without really disturbing anything.

I’ve recently purchased the 1/2" auto siphon and with the foot on, I can put the siphon into the middle (highest point of the better bottle carboy) and it will not suck up any trub. To get all the beer possible, I tip and hold the siphon just above the cake. Since getting the 1/2" siphon, I transfer in half the time and am getting far less sediment.

:cheers:

I am totally rethinking this …

When I transfer the boiled wort from the kettle (Sanke), I am transferring all but a few ounes left at the convcave bottom of the keggle - hot break, all the settled protiens, and the rest of the gunk that forms during the boil. The keggle dip tube is practically centered and draws everything.

I do mash in a voile bag so the pre-boiled wort is clean and free of any grain or other mash material. I also use .2 micron filter bag for the hops. Again, there is no debris in the work other than the flocculation of proteins/polyphenols in the boil.

So in summary, hot break material is transferring to the carboy.

Could this be the root of my off flavor problem? What are the effects and taste of hot break in the fermenter?

Again, it is not that bad, but it is noticable to me as I taste it in every batch. Most others don’t notice it.

It’s contentious, but probably nothing. You might want to participate in the next BBR/BYO experiment. http://www.byo.com/blogs/new-byobbr-experiment.html

I just fill my cane and tubing with sanitizer. Holding my finger on the end of the tubing I drop the cane right into the sediment. I run the sanitizer and trub off into another vessel until it’s clean. I don’t like auto siphons.

I use an Auto-Siphon, but before racking/kegging, every beer i make gets some cold-conditioning time first. At least 2 weeks for most ales before kegging, and stronger ales and all lagers get racked to a 2° and aged further in the fridge before kegging.

I find that some time in the cold fridge helps settle out yeast/trub etc., and less gunk gets into the keg. After the 1st pint, most of my kegs run pretty clear until empty.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Bklmt2000

This. I keg everything, too, so anything that makes it through will cold crash and be out in the first glass, anyway. If I changed anything, it would be to clamp the siphon to the side of the bucket. I get excited about new beer and find that I lean back and forth, from the bucket to the keg, and sometimes slip a little when holding the siphon. No big deal, but preventable.

Get one of these and you’ll find it helps immensly.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com