How do you measure stuff like lactic acid?

I’m trying to improve my water as you know and the result is to add 7.1ml lactic acid to the sparge water. I looked around the house for something to measure out that small quantity without much luck. I did find a small syringe type thing my wife used to use to hand feed birds. Unfortunately it is designed for some dog medicine and is graduated in pounds for the dogs weight. It’s .05ml per lb for the dog. Good luck figuring that conversion out. I did get a ball park idea and went really easy on the lactic acid.

So what should I buy to measure it more accurately?

I found a spoon/measuring device for giving kids medicine at a pharmacy…goes up to 10ml…works great!

2 Likes

Go to a drug store and get a medicine syringe used for kids’ medicine. They’re graduated in ml, and usually either 5 or 10 ml. Should cost you less than $5 for a set of two.

2 Likes

^^THIS^^ big syringes

I use a 10ml glass pipette, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to break it one of these days. Go for a syringe from the drug store.

Simple enough. Thanks guys.

I had bought a plastic veterinary syringe. Marked in milliliters but the plunger slides too hard. Thought I would just end up spilling the bottle of phosphoric acid. Now I just weigh out the amount I need. One gram per milliliter. The difference in weight of a ml of water and a ml 10% phosphoric acid is negligible. Scale is within ± of a half gram which I don’t worry about.

2 Likes

+1 on this. This is what I do.

Syringe here to… Since I can’t figure how to get Brun’water on my Apple dummy… I am not too anxious to dose heavy, rather, sneak on down to the correct pH… Remember, malt lowers the pH also… Sneezles61