Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Hot Break/Cold Break

What is hot and cold break? Is hot break where you don’t risk a boil over anymore, as the wort settles in for the hour long rolling boil? At least that’s what I picture. But I have no idea what a cold break is.

Paul

The egg drop soup looking stuff that you see during the boil, is denatured protein and is hot break. Its not really the foam although that is protein that eventually drops into the liquid too.

Cold break is also egg drop stuff that drops out when you chill the wort. It tends to be a little finer since its stuff that is soluble at high temps.

Oh, OK. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that while chilling my wort.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]The egg drop soup looking stuff that you see during the boil, is denatured protein and is hot break. Its not really the foam although that is protein that eventually drops into the liquid too.

Cold break is also egg drop stuff that drops out when you chill the wort. It tends to be a little finer since its stuff that is soluble at high temps.[/quote]

Comparing it to egg drop soup is a perfect description! Never heard it described this way…but I immediately got it! :cheers:

There might not be a whole lot of extra stuff drop out when chilling, depends on how well your hot break went and whether you used Irish moss or something like that.

I’ve heard that before and it is definitely a similar looking thing. I really see it get stringy when I use pils malt. And if you beat it up a lot, I find it doesn’t settle quite as well. I have to stir some to circulate wort around the IC though. Kind of makes me want to let the break drop hot, then run the cleared wort through a CFC.

[quote=“paultuttle”]But I have no idea what a cold break is.

Paul[/quote]This is my cold break. It only stays in suspension like this for a few minutes.

Did you separate the hot break first or is that the sum of both?

I know a good hot break is a sign that your mash PH was in the right range. Is that also true for a cold break? I seem to get a lot of it

Edit: I do use whirlfloc tablets

The hot break stays in the kettle with most of the hops and trub. I employ the whirlpool technique at flame out to keep it there.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com