Hops storage

Once I crack into a 1 lb bag of hops, what is the best way to store them? I realize that a vacuum sealer with vapor barrier bags is the best way to go, but I am curious if freezer bags will do the trick? I understand from previous discussion, that “freezer” bags are better barriers than sandwich bags. How about triple freezer bagging the remains? Just seems like another really expensive purchase to get a 90 dollars vacuum sealer.

I double bag in freezer bags once I open the original packaging. I have been getting tobacco in
reclosable barrier bags and I’m starting to use those. I try to use up the rest of the pound within a month or two.

Hands down the best way is to use a vacuum bagger. They’re not really expensive and worth every penny. I’ve used hops a year or more old(my bad) and had no problem. I’d just double up the amount. :oops:

Watch Kohls for sales on Food Savers, and if you have a Kohls card you can get an extra 30% off. I got my Food Saver for about $50 using this method, originally priced around $150. I also got one on clearence from FoodSaver.com that I gave as a Christmas present last year. Originally $79.99, clearenced at $24.99 with free shipping.

Just keep your eyes open for a deal.

Vacuum seal is the best way. I bought this one from amazon just a few weeks ago. Works great! You can use foodsaver brand bags which I get from BJ’s. Haven’t found them cheaper anywhere else.

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-Vacuum-Seal ... 135&sr=8-2

If you check back every day and watch the price, sometimes you can get it cheaper than what’s it’s listed at right now. I did a lot of research and this was a decent brand and reasonable price. There are way more expensive sealers and cheaper ones. This one made the most sense to me and I haven’t had a problem yet.

And if you want to go used (I wouldn’t on a vacuum sealer) you can get it for $25.
It’s $48 new.

I’d agree, really nice to know that hops are going to keep for a long time and makes it much easier to buy hops in bulk when they are available without feeling rushed to use them up. Think I only paid $70 for my vacuum sealer. Sealer does work really well for food too, basically eliminates freezer burn.

One way to save on vacuum storage is to use the mason jar adapter and store in glass jars. You can get them in sizes ranging from a half gallon to a half pint. The jars and lids are reusable. You don’t really even need to use the rings as the vacuum keeps the lids on the jars.

I agree with using mason jars. really great!!! You can see exactly how much you have left in the jar, plus there are reusable so no expensive bags to buy.
You could also consider getting a Pump-n-Seal. It’s a handy little tool that I use on jars. Somebody on the forum turned me onto it. You can only buy it online as far as I know. It is small, convenient, and one less counter appliance to take out and put away.

On the mason jars…just throw the hops in and put the lid on or is there a method to get the oxygen out?

No, you have to get the oxygen out. You can either use a foodsaver with the attachment designed for mason jars, OR you can get a pump-n-seal. This tool is made specifically for jars. You put a small hole in the metal lid (tool included) and then put a strip, like a bandage almost, over it (included) and the pump-n-seal pulls out all of the air and creates a vacuum in the jar.

I like my pump-n-seal. I now have a small foodsaver that my Mom wasn’t using, however I continue to use the pump n seal.

No, you have to get the oxygen out. You can either use a foodsaver with the attachment designed for mason jars, OR you can get a pump-n-seal. This tool is made specifically for jars. You put a small hole in the metal lid (tool included) and then put a strip, like a bandage almost, over it (included) and the pump-n-seal pulls out all of the air and creates a vacuum in the jar.

I like my pump-n-seal. I now have a small foodsaver that my Mom wasn’t using, however I continue to use the pump n seal.[/quote]

Seems like most people who have the pump n seal like it. I don’t have it, but I do know you can use most metal-lidded glass jars with it, thus saving cost if you clean and recycle food jars at home.